MohoFuel Inc. - H2 Extraction from Moho and Condensation at Kerbin

Gustavo6046

Introduction:

Context (mental workaround possibility, MWP)

Imagine a year where liquid fuel in KSC is in crisis due to the blast of the nuclear power plant which provided energy for water eletrolysis in H2 + O- (H2O + e- = H2 + O- at the electrolysis plant which sells liquid H2 to KSC). But, for a milacre a interplanetary exploration vessel discover hydrogen traces in Moho's atmosphere (remember mission Koulomb?) shortly. Naturally it would be considered "better than Kerbonite and Kethane, in the middle of crisis" by the R&D Subsidiary manager, I mean, they naturally would extract! From Moho, yay!

In other words...

Here I have an theory on how they would have made it, presented in the best PhD format for an twelve in elementary school.

Basic understandment requirements:

• Knowledge in contrary particles, i.e. positrons
  • Fresh high-school knowledge in basic chemistry, electrolysis, pH and hydrogen bonds
  • Knowledge in thermic isolation, seal systems, dissolution and etcetra
  • Optional: ability to read a text scheme into a imaginary, "built" one

Schemes:

Extraction

Reactor 1

The vessel that extracts H2 from Moho dissolve the captured air in a tank of accidized Kerbal(adjective for Kerbin) water (Reactor 1) and react positrons in the solution where H2 is separed from the rest of atmosphere, when hydrogen bonds are formed between the water particles. The atmospheric particles which remain in the tank (i.e. everything but Hydrogen) after the water have been put in the Reactor 2 is exhausted back into atmosphere.

Reactor 2

Before entering the reactor, the just-hydrogenized water is centrifugated to remove other solved compounds (other elements from Moho atmosphere dissolved in Reactor 1), which are then exhausted. Once in the reactor, solar panels generate power to react the water with Electrons to separate the hydrogen bonds (i.e. hydrogen from Mohovian atmosphere) which just formed with positrons (the panels also make energy for everything else electricity-related here). The water, once the hydrogen has separated, returns to Reactor 1 for another cycle (the extraction system/cycle) and the hydrogen enters in a depressurized tank. When returning the pressure valve and the entering to the H2 tank are sealed to prevent future leaks.

Manufacturing

When the vessel returns, the hydrogen is cooled at a Ultra-Low Temperature (ULT, the inverse of UHT), to form liquid fuel, and keeped in thermic-isolation tanks to sell to KSP. Kerbals are ecologic; KSC sells back the isolation tanks (read: cans) for ecology and discount. KSC is to cool to enter bankruptcy.

Note: I didn't mentioned the crisis included oxidizer, so let's just assume KSC already have excedents of it and only mixes with liquid H2 for further missions.

P.S.: Remember bombarding Neodymium with Cerium results in Ununoctium which rapid Alpha decay can be used to power electricity!

Edited by Gustavo6046
Y' know it, formatting!

welcome to the forum.. I see that you are new here..

But your plot and logic to do all this has no sense at all.

The method has not sense either, but maybe I dint understand it, also I want to know the goal of this question..

Is for a mod, or a new suggestion for the game? not sure

Or is a science question of how to get hydrogen from moho?

No, it is a theory in extracting hydrogen in Moho to manufacture into liquid fuel in Kerbin. Sorry if you didn't understood. I will later propose a better scheme explanation, in a GIMP-made image.

PS: Later means soon!

Edited by Gustavo6046
Son means later, son!

No, it isn't fanwork, it is a chemistry theory! Grrr, nobody here know chems? Someone that just concluded high school? Gah, forget, I'm still in elementary for some reason​...

It's not that, it's that it's not clear what you're trying to ask or do from your post.

When posting in this section, please dont refer to mythical celetial bodies. If youu want to ask a serius chemistry question, ask it about Venus or Mercury, not Moho.

Not to mention Karbonite and Kethane are themselves fictional elements/fuels. Though Kethane seems based off of methane, no idea what Karbonite is supposed to be based off of, besides the obvious 'carbon' in the name.

Also, what's a milacre? A million acres?

Grrrr.... you boys... heh nothing...

It was just a fictional context to help understanding the theory. It applies for any celestial body (except for stars), e.g. Jupiter (may) have hydrogen in the atmosphere. A spacecraft with a very fuel-efficient engine can hover for a nice time in the atmosphere and collect hydrogen using that technique described. In theory.

Edit: Milacre was "miracle", just an error in translation from Brazilian Portuguese. ;)

Edited by Gustavo6046
Google Translate saves the day!

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just have the spacecraft skim the edge of Jupiters atmosphere or hang from a balloon rather than waste deltaV trying to hover in Jupiters atmosphere? Skimming from (or hovering in) Jupiters atmosphere is a completely different situation than trying to get hydrogen out of Mercury's tenous exosphere.

In fact, it could quickly collect the Jupiterian hydrogen using radial intakes while skimming like a glider, and make the reaction and exhaust once it has passed the atmo. It can be repeated until the periapsis get too low to pass the atmosphere without expending dV, which would be bad. Then a circularizing burn at Ap (above atmosphere) and a direct returning to a H2 to liquid fuel factory.

Gliding, not skimming!

Bombarding Neodymium (Nd) with Cerium (Ce) results in Ununoctium (Uuo), which alpha decays in milisseconds, generating alpha particles of positive charge which can be attached in mass inside a radial vaccuum tank. This way, when used in a spaceship, docking ports of another vessel with an anode will attract and be attracted by the other vessel, since one has positive alpha radiation charge and the other has an anode, inverse charges attract and ease docking even beyond the darkest sides.

Gliding, not skimming!

Bombarding Neodymium (Nd) with Cerium (Ce) results in Ununoctium (Uuo), which alpha decays in milisseconds, generating alpha particles of positive charge which can be attached in mass inside a radial vaccuum tank. This way, when used in a spaceship, docking ports of another vessel with an anode will attract and be attracted by the other vessel, since one has positive alpha radiation charge and the other has an anode, inverse charges attract and ease docking even beyond the darkest sides.

It's easier to just use magnets.

Moho does not have atmosphere in the game, the same that its real twin mercury (10−14 bar.)

Be depleted of hydrogen or water in earth/kerbin is impossible. Just the earth atmosphere has 15000km3 of water.

So you may said... I need to go to mercury, how I come back if I dont want to carry the fuel needed for that?

Then we can talk taken the issue more seriously.

If another issue is how to harvester (I cant think in a logic circustance) big quantities of hydrogen from gas giants, then I would choose neptune or uranus. So the gravity well is not so hard to overcome.

Moho does not have atmosphere in the game, the same that its real twin mercury (10−14 bar.)

Oh. I probably confused with another planet which has. Somewhere in the wiki should say some planet (might) have hydrogen in the atmosphere.

Be depleted of hydrogen or water in earth/kerbin is impossible. Just the earth atmosphere has 15000km3 of water.

I was saying about no way of grabbing hydrogen out from water.

In Chemistry notation, terms, there was no e- (electrons) to do the following:

H2O + e- = H2 + O-

2O- + 2e+ = O2

So you may said... I need to go to mercury, how I come back if I dont want to carry the fuel needed for that?

Then we can talk taken the issue more seriously.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Meaning[/TD]

[TD]Abbreviated[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Command Module[/TD]

[TD]CM[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lander Module[/TD]

[TD]LM[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The lander has a Docking Port of big size and magnetic/electric-charge guidance system (north/south poles, anodes/cathodes), and after retrieving hydrogen from local atmo and puting in the radial tanks, a small tank of fuel with radial Spider engines, another Sr dock and a small probe core is dropped by the Control Module to the Lander Module.

The tank only has to use the Spiders to get slow enough to dock with the landed LM. Then it hops with the fuel remaining (Spiders are really dV efficient!) so it intersect suborbitally with the CM and docks. First it will free the LM's docking port as the tank is undocked and quick, small SRBs help to avoid it collide with the LM or CM taking it out of the way like a launch abort system..

Then the H2 is transferred from the LM to radial tanks in the CM, the LM is discarded and the CM returns to Kerbin to condense H2.

And yes, that strategy is based on Lunar/Münar missions but unmanned.

´`~^¨ - brazilian keyboard accents

If another issue is how to harvester (I cant think in a logic circustance) big quantities of hydrogen from gas giants, then I would choose neptune or uranus. So the gravity well is not so hard to overcome.

Thank you for your suggestion! I always appreciate these.

Edited by Gustavo6046

So, basically, the nuclear power plant that electrolytes water into fuel is down, so you want to send a reactor powered spacecraft to Moho to collect fuel? After the trip, you'll gain probably a couple hundred liters of fuel. Plus, if you can send an entire mining operation to Moho, you should be able to build another power plant. And, Moho doesn't have an atmosphere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.