Why this ship collapsed in space?

Hello, i would like to ask expirienced players.

I have a ship with such composition in cargo bay

xAe1nR4TGvzBAy.jpg

She went to Mun orbit, made docking, took crew and left Mun SOI. After few maneuvers heading to Minmus, she falls on 3 parts. I didnt saw blow up, just find that now i have few ships after timewarp and manuvering other ship.

Cabin with some staff missing in cargo

bmoWq8ltY1pXmy.jpg

Engine and Fuel bank

a2X3qJwtB9n6mg.jpg

Staff from cargo bay

ZrJXaZwsPyVa2j.jpg

I havnt found Monop-t tanks, but i have debris=0

So what goes wrong?

Full size ship

DmBNQM9Fap9MmP.jpg

and closer look at Mono-tanks, as u see they are somewhat inside Reaction Wheel

v29WxkgtaD7KrG.jpg

So the problen is with mono tanks disposition ? Or it was just kraken?

Maybe it was some kind of overheating from the Sun? or radiation from the Atomic Engine?

- - - Updated - - -

I made such changes and going to dock crewcabin to save it and went to my business on Minmus.

KAg8xOwfWDgyrl.jpg

Edited by Moonk

The problem is the godawful cargo bay. It has 4 attachment nodes - 2 on the outside, 2 inside. Except the inner and outer are so close together, and without orientation enforcing rules, that most cargo will happily clip to the outer node and the bay will attach by the inner node, making the cargo, the bay and whatever it's attached to to be clipped and struggle for explosive disasembly when deployed.

Use a short MK3 bay instead. It's far less trouble.

Sharpy is absolutely right. Those round bays are known ship killers. Its your copy of the game use what you like but expect problems if you use those god awful bugged round bays Moonk.

Edited by Higgs

Just watch out for one teeny tiny caveat: All MK2 parts have lift - act as (very weak, small) wings. It may cause some trouble with gravity turn if not given enough control authority (a good reaction wheel?) to counteract it. And watch out for parts clipping through its walls/doors. They will cause the same kind of trouble.

OTOH: You can store an MK1 fuel fuselage/tank inside a MK2 bay and it will provide the same amount of fuel as MK2 fuselage in about the same or lower weight and with room to attach "tiny" sized parts to it radially. If you attach the fuselage to the node, and the parts to the fuselage and not to the bay, they will be occluded from drag just fine. More on this.

t5a8qO6.jpg

I'd say it's that you're pushing two wide things connected by a regular docking port. That can cause a LOT of flex. Reinforce it with struts, or use Sr ports.

If you look at the debris screenshot ("after disassembly") there are leftover strut stubs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.