IRL SPEED CHALLENGE: Shoot For The Mun (and back)

Time is becoming ever more valuable, as the keen, kerbling Kerbonaughts realise the massive, magnificent multitude of ships to build, celestial bodies to conquer and challenges to partake in...

With that in mind, Shoot For The Mun Enterprises proudly presents HOCgaming\'s first challenge:

Land on the Mun and return to Kerbin as fast as possible, as measured in Real Life seconds taken

Wait, what?

We find this idea interesting due to the decision making necessary to achieve a fast round trip. Not measured in GAME time, but in REAL LIFE time. For example, a larger orbit will take the Kerbal pilots longer to complete, but yields a faster warp speed to the player. Piloting the whole mission in 2x speed will have a huge impact on the end time, but much needed accuracy will be sacrificed.

Of course, providing evidence for claimed times is going to be unreliable- so we\'ve decided to post this one with good faith in you guys. This leads us onto the rules:

First off, mission flight time begins at Lift Off. Meaning fast forwarding pre-mission in order to launch at a time when the mun is in an optimal position is encouraged!

1: No mods are allowed, apart from the simple and not game changing ones such as MechJeb and Decoupler Shrouds. Any mod that has an impact on ship speed or fuel capacity is strictly forbidden.

2: Landing on the Mun is classed as coming to a complete stop on the Mun\'s surface for at least 10 REAL LIFE seconds, with no engines of any kind being active during that time.

3: Three images are required: First the ship on the pad before Lift Off; Second the ship planted firmly at rest on the Mun; Lastly the mission end overview, with the command module at rest on Kerbin and the crew INTACT (aka alive, intact just sounds cooler).

The absolute best way to prove your claimed time is accurate is to provide video evidence, but we obviously can\'t expect everyone to do so.

Please, don\'t hesitate to share your strategies with the rest of us mere mortals! If you have a particular trick in order to save time I\'m sure we\'d all be interested to hear it.

And that... is about it. Good Luck, fellow Kerbonaughts!

LEADER BOARD:

1st: Optical9090 - 00:12:53.30

2nd: HOCgaming - 00:16:26

Herman, Shepney and Billy-Bobfel Kerman just returned from their speedrun.

12:53.3 was the time from lift-off until splash-down in the ocean.

Could have done it quicker but i was aiming for high Gs too.

Sadly, if the game-engine had allowed it, our brave pilots would have been pancaked when their pod entered Kerbin atmosphere at ~5000 m/s or roughly 18000 km/h.

Is there any preferred method of time-keeping, I was just going to use the following site: http://stopwatch.onlineclock.net/.

That\'s a great site to use, and no there isn\'t really any preferred way to time it.

12:53.3 was the time from lift-off until splash-down in the ocean.

Could have done it quicker but i was aiming for high Gs too.

Sadly, if the game-engine had allowed it, our brave pilots would have been pancaked when their pod entered Kerbin atmosphere at ~5000 m/s or roughly 18000 km/h.

Nice time! Yeah, I\'m fairly sure my CM would\'ve been a ball of plasma when they hit the atmosphere too! Bothering to return with the crew alive realistically takes far too much extra time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.