Subject Change: Docking Port Magnetic Kraken Drive

selfish_meme

So I've been looking at the docking node module in monodevelop, and I've found a few things that may be of interest:

-Restarting drives could be very difficult. There's a variable called "minDistanceToReengage", set to 1f, which I think means that once the ports have docked they have to be moved 1 meter apart before magnetism applies again, so that you're ships don't redock themselves on undock. I'm currently working on another way to restart drives, so I'll see how that goes.

-The variable "acquireForce", which I assume determines the amount of magnetism, is set to 2f by default. I think this means all the docking ports have the same magnetism strength, so a Jr port based drive should be as powerful as a Sr based one. I am by no means sure about this though.

-The variable "acquireRange" is set to 0.5f by default, so half a metre should be the max distance between docking ports for the drive to work. I guess this could be used for a sort of clutch or neutral gear.

-There is also an "acquireTorque" variable, set to 2f, which I assume refers to the torque that lines up docking ports. I don't know what this could be used for, but I'm sure there's some way to exploit it.

- - - Updated - - -

First ever warp drive equipped pickup truck:

http://i.imgur.com/BK583yV.jpg

Good stuff, I was going to put it in my rover as well. I let Claw know because I can't see much use for it and I would rather have them work properly, maybe he can fix them in SBFM

I let Claw know because I can't see much use for it and I would rather have them work properly, maybe he can fix them in SBFM

I think you're probably right seeing as they put out at most 2kn of thrust and are stupidly difficult to shutdown and restart (it is possible though, but the only method I've found (repositioning things with airbrakes) is bulky and looks really stupid. Maybe if it worked in space or on water, but as it is it's just a very complicated way to slightly speed up a rover.

No thrust is what one would expect because they're two vessels attracting each other and there's no overall force. Evidently something about being on the ground causes that to no longer apply.

Could it be related to the fact that while the rover is on the ground and thus grounded in the games code, the other vessel is technically "flying low"?

It never died. Some of the old landing-leg based drives still work.

Has anyone else tried service bays and the new medium and large landing gear? They seem to clip through a lot less than the older parts and I haven't been able to get a working drive but I have been able to make a bunch of ships thrash around a lot.

I wonder - would someone mind testing? Does the drive cease to accelerate when it loses contact with the ground or maybe when the "situation" changes?

That is: first launch the magnetic-powered glider using some SRB or whatever, and only activate the K-drive while already in air?

I wonder - would someone mind testing? Does the drive cease to accelerate when it loses contact with the ground or maybe when the "situation" changes?

That is: first launch the magnetic-powered glider using some SRB or whatever, and only activate the K-drive while already in air?

Looks like it is being in the air that does it, not the situation change, at least when I tried doing what you said with a drive on the back of an Aeris 3A. I think, seeing as this will at most produce the thrust of an ion engine, the best thing to do might be to give up on this and try something with service bays and the new landing gear, which seem more than a little K-drivey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.