Finally finished my munar base

Sputnyk

Hi guys, finally managed to finish my munar base. It's a refinery that also doubles as a fuel depot. Seven launches to get the five modules, the orbital fuel transport and the shuttle that brought spare parts in place. It was very funny to build because it was difficult to dock the tall modules using a rover, but I eventually did it. I call it the Khaleesi Daenerys Munar Base (it was a suggestion from a friend.).

18OCY4E.png

ki7eJnD.png

Edited by Sputnyk

Thanks, it really was. Fortunately, the rover that I used for carrying the modules around was remarkably stable, despite sliding like crazy sometimes, but I'll blame that on the Mün's gravity :). Will upload a picture of it later.

Very nice! I am building a base on minmus with similar goals (refinery & science) - despite me being parked on the greater flats my main challenges are (9fps) lack of gravity, and stupid mistakes on my own part from putting the pieces together.

Built a lil crane to put the station pieces together, runs out infernal robotics doesn't like docking / undocking payloads :/

My plan went to crap. At first I thought my crane was broken, so I re-built it from scratch and tried again. Then i discovered its a mod limitation.

x6hOH3R.jpg

Thats a pic of the lander i (didn't) use, all of the parts managed to land with their middle stage LOL

I used the crane to detach the parts from their (non) landers and place them on the ground. Then I was able to connect some parts without infernal robotic bugs.

9X2BMp1.jpg

I ran into problems, luckily I planned for this (50% of the time) I sent another lil rover to move the parts from underneath. Sadly non of my power segments have dock node underneath.

Wondering weather to skip this practice and get to Duna already!! I was ready to give it a rest when i realised I'd have to redesign my power segments, but thats why Im here in the first place!

Wow, impressive! Very clever workaround. I've run into some problems too. The modules had a tendency to tip over and the were very hard to control because of the structural fuselage, causing a kind of asymmetrical trust, but I managed to correct this using KAS winches (and luckily the solar panels were only deployed after the connection to the main module. I'll see if I can build something more compact to send to Duna (or Ike, maybe?) and complete the contracts.

Edit: I'm working on reducing the part count to improve my FPS (around 10 approaching the base,15 on the surface) using KAS/KIS mod, I find it extremely helpful. And I can also bring spare parts (fuel cells, just remembered them in the last mission).

Edited by Sputnyk

Soon my main crane will attach itself to the lander and leave, taking about 150 parts away - but not until the new power segments arrive. They will feature an overwhelming amount of solar power at hopefully a very low part count.

The segments were launched in sets of four, with the quadthingimobobby. The miner, the battery, the science core & refineries were all launched seperate.

I put a winch on the end of my cranes arm, but again forgot to bring any pieces for it - will pack some new parts to use on the next ship.

It seems Infernal robotics is OK with docking to new pieces moving around and undocking said pieces. The problem lies in picking something up and docking that new piece I picked up to another piece (e.g the station) and then when you undock the crane, all the joints on the crane (if moved) will start to pull themselves apart.

For next time a simple work around will be to put a docking node on the ass of my crane, not connected to any IR parts which will do the final dock. Hopefully that will be ok.

PieoTBQ.jpg

Wow, every time i tell myself "TEST IT HERE FIRST" Then i think, naww its fool proof! LMAO I've spent SO much on this, and its taken forever.

I can't begin to imagine the amount of work you did there. That's awesome! I hope it will work this time (just played with IR once, and it caused an impressive amount of RUDs :D). It took seven launches to get everything there (excluding the one to refuel the drilling stage, that is).

- - - Updated - - -

Some pictures of the rover:

htrlSN1.png

Doing an wheelie (Ok, it was unintentional):

1d5TfWF.png

And the fuel storage module almost tipping over during transport:

RY0zKrR.png

Edit: I actually built a prototype on Kerbin before sending everything up, just to see if the docking ports were matching and this kind of stuff.

Edited by Sputnyk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.