[1.0.4] lxnRT : A minimalistic resource transfer plugin v0.9.1

lxn

lxnRT : A minimalistic resource transfer plugin

V​ersion: 0.9.1

AUS0nvF.jpg

Description:

This plugin allows you to transfer resources between two separate vessels within a specified distance. It is

very light, it adds no parts/modules, and you can install it or remove it without modifying anything else.

Usage:

> Select a target vessel from the EVA view or the map view, and hit Left-Alt + p (configurable) to open the

resource transfer window.

> There are a few restrictions you can impose to suit your playstyle: Requiring at least one Kerbal present

to start the transaction, imposing a maximum speed limit relative to the other vessel, and setting a maximum

distance between them (ranging from 20 to 2000 mts) - all of which you can configure.

> From there you can select if you'd like to transfer From the targetedvessel or To it, which Resource you

want to transfer (it allows for custom resources) and then simply press "Start". Within a couple seconds the

transfer will be complete!

NConuwb.jpg

Installation and configuration:

Drop the "lxnAddon" folder in the download into your GameData folder. For more information refer to the

readme provided (which tells you how to tweak it too).

Download 0.9.1

Source

Version history:

v0.9.1 (post)

v0.9.0: Initial release

License:

This plugin is released under the BSD 2-clause “Simplified†License, please see

the LICENSE.txt file included in the download for more information. Or click here.

Edited by lxn
Update for v0.9.1

Neat idea, and I can tell its supposed to be a light version of the KAS/KIS mods but I honestly feel it's a bit of a overpowered mod. The ability to transfer resources through an disconnected space is unrealistic.

HAVING SPOKEN TO THE OPness OF THE MOD, it is a neat concept and as already mentioned a lighter version of KAS/KIS. So if you don't want to bother with attaching EVA fuel pipes and all then this is the mod for you.

It'd be neat if in later editions of this, it would draw a temporary hose (no collider needed, just a visual effect) during the transfer operation, and possibly require at least one Kerbal present to "hook things up" (although, again, no need to actually animate anything).

Neat idea, and I can tell its supposed to be a light version of the KAS/KIS mods but I honestly feel it's a bit of a overpowered mod. The ability to transfer resources through an disconnected space is unrealistic.

It is, no doubt. But I didn't go for realism really, I'd say this is more of a "convenience" mod. I guess if you'd like to make it more restrictive you could always lower the max distance between vessels, so they pretty much have to be right beside each other to make a transfer. I could add some more restrictions, but leaving some flexibility allows users to come up with very interesting stuff (in fact the first thing I did was to throw "barrels" with fuel around and refuel an aicraft as I skim at top speed right above them, which is ridiculous but really fun! :)

It'd be neat if in later editions of this, it would draw a temporary hose (no collider needed, just a visual effect) during the transfer operation, and possibly require at least one Kerbal present to "hook things up" (although, again, no need to actually animate anything).

At first I thought about drawing *something* between the vessels so the tranfer process would be more graphic, but when I settled on the transfer method and rates I prioritized quickness (it takes ~3 secs at most, depending on the vessels) so I held back on the idea. I *could* lengthen the transfer process to make it worth adding some graphics, I'll see what the overall response is.

About the kerbal requirement, it's a great idea! I can easily add that to the mod, with a config option for those who want it. Next version will totally have it :)

This is like the old Lazor System but it had a lazer light when transferring and there was one called merlin that was like this.

Exactly! In fact, the reason why I created the plugin in the first place is that I came back to KSP after a while and found out cleverbobcat.dll containing Merlin's resource transfer was long unmaintained (and boy was it quirky when it worked)... So I just created something that would fill that need, but 'smaller'.

Having a Kerbal present, and maybe limiting the relative speed of the two craft (but can you click on things fast enough?) would both fit with the idea of a simple system with a low footprint. Some of the early attempts at in-flight refuelling were at the level of passing cans of fuel from one plane to another. It might be simpler just to have the transfer take a little longer, and confirm within range at start and finish. Rendezvous but not docking.

And maybe the range could be increased with better tech.

If you want outright cheats, you can get them anyway.

@Wolf Baginski

Interesting!

I'll see about enhancing the "immersiveness" of the plugin in relation to career mode and realism as much as I can, it's something I hadn't really thought about when this was in the making so it will take some time. In any case, there are great plugins with that in mind already so users have a choice to use those instead.

So far I've added the optional Kerbal presence and relative speed limit requirements, and a few minor tweaks. As soon as I've tested them enough it'll be out!

Nice! There used to be a mod called Quantum Fuel Transfer that did the same thing - let you transfer fuel between nearby ships without docking.

Yes, it's overpowered, but that's what some people want - especially if they're bad at docking. You might want to allow relaxing of the 200m range to just physics range (2.4km) for that reason.

It would be nice to be able to transfer a specific amount (100 units of MonoProp, for example). Even better would be an additional option to transfer linked amounts of LiquidFuel and Oxidizer.. if I transfer 180 units of LF, I probably want to also transfer 220 units of Oxidizer. Ratio is 1 unit of LF per 1.222222222222222 units of Oxidizer.

Nice!...

Hmm... In my mind setting specific amounts to transfer is not *really* important IF the plugin allows the user to eye the amount they want to transfer and click stop at that time, which at present is not always possible due to the speed of the transfer. I'll definitely keep it in mind. On the matter of linked Fuel/Oxy transfer, I think you are right - that feature should be included. I'll be thinking about adding them in the very near future :)

Oh BTW, users already can set the max distance up to 2000 meters, I'll make it clearer in the original post as soon as I update.

very...

Thank you! The main idea here is to keep it simple, which allows me to polish it as much as i can with the time I have. *Obviously*, anyone is welcome to modify/fork/contribute code as they please, I am no programmer so coding takes me longer than others.

If I finally have some free time to play and test the plugin today I'll be posting an update with the couple features I described in the posts above. Thank you all for the feedback!

It would be nice to be able to transfer a specific amount (100 units of MonoProp, for example). Even better would be an additional option to transfer linked amounts of LiquidFuel and Oxidizer.. if I transfer 180 units of LF, I probably want to also transfer 220 units of Oxidizer. Ratio is 1 unit of LF per 1.222222222222222 units of Oxidizer.

Uh, erm, so, like this: :wink: Though I can see why it would also be nice not to have deal with any kind of connecting on EVA.

LEckmBh.png

Updated to v0.9.1:

> Added optional Kerbal presence requirement and optional max relative

speed between vessels restriction. These options are disabled by default

in this release, but will default to enabled in whatever release comes next.

> A few minor tweaks.

Download link is on the original post.

Uh, erm, so, like this: :wink: Though I can see why it would also be nice not to have deal with any kind of connecting on EVA.

Haha let's see: Graphics between vessels on transfer and setting specific amounts are not coming to the mod the way I'm taking it right now. Linked Fuel/Oxy transfer are coming on a next update, but that'll take a while cause I'll be very busy in the coming weeks... :'/ Aside from that and any kind of bugfixing, the plugin is pretty much on a finished state in my mind.

If you'd like to DMagic I can redirect those requesting these features to your thread.

Yeah, pretty much. All that function without the messy part of having a kerbal do it... ;)

In the meantime I`ll still use this mods for all my unmanned mining operations.

Nice mod, small and functional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.