[Invention] My suggestion for the Kerbol system

mincespy

I think this is how the Kerbol system should look like.

Bear in mind that this thread will be updated often with more information.

So, here goes:

7319194552_d3d4816fdd_k.jpg

Because Flickr can\'t upload images of 5000px5000p, I\'ve attached it also.

Shoceso

A burnt, molten, charred rock orbiting perilously close to our star. It is bombarded by lethal amounts of radiation from Kerbol every day. Because of its extremely hot molten core, it has a very powerful magnetic field, so that only the UV radiation from Kerbol gets through. No atmosphere and no moons. Its existence was not discovered until recently, because it\'s so hard to see, what with orbiting so close to our star.

Taonii

Has a somewhat irregular orbit. No atmosphere, and a hot selena. It has no moons. Its surface is covered by occasional lakes of molten lava and quite a few large volcanoes and a LOT of small volcanoes. The large volcanoes are all either dormant or extinct, but some of the smaller volcanoes are active, erupting at random times. No atmosphere and no moons.

Cacrat

A hot desert, with a very thick atmosphere. It is twice the size of kerbin, The atmosphere is light blue, and it impossible to see the surface from space. Because of its dark blue atmosphere, it was regularly called \'blue ball\' in ancient kerbal times. It has one moon, a minmus-sized rock called Rak.

Kerbin

A temperate terra, and home of the kerbal race. It has two known moons, a mun-sized object called Mun and a small, far-flung rock called Minmus.

Murs

A temperate desert. Has an atmosphere about half as thick as kerbin\'s. Its surface is mostly tan-coloured due to the vast amounts of Silicon dioxide on its surface, but there are patches of yellow because of Sulfur, which was spewed out by giant volcanoes long ago. The extinct volcanoes still remain, and one of them is the second-largest in the solar system. Four moons, Two minmus-sized rocks called Ti and Ona and two objects about half as big as the mun, called Shokpli (which has large lakes of frozen water on its surface, shattered into spectacular ice craters and shards by asteroid impacts) and one called Rizik.

Rock belt

An asteroid belt, with asteroids ranging from minmus-sized bodies to asteroids a meter across. There are probably one or two mun-sized bodies in it. It is possible that there may be a planet hiding inside the belt, in an area where the asteroids are particularly high in concentration, which would conceal it from view. (This would make an interesting challenge to get to, eh? Dodge the asteroids!)

Mijuni

A large gas giant. It is purple in colour, with streaks of light purple and dark blue clouds. It has two large spots, which are though to be cataclysmic storms. It has at least 20 moons.

Haqua

Haqua is a barycenter, in which two planets, Pruni and Iklo orbit each other. Iklo is closest to the Barycenter, and Pruni is furthest from the barycenter. In addition, there are believed to be one or two minmus-sized objects in the system.

Pruni

A kerbin-sized frozen ice world. It has large patches of ice on it, which are thought to be frozen seas. The theory goes that it was originally in an orbit that put it only a bit farther from Kerbol than Kerbin, however when Picules was captured by Kerbol\'s gravity, it flew past Pruni and shot it out of the system, however on its way out it flew past Iklo and was captured by its gravity. As a result, it has frozen seas and rivers on its surface

Iklo

A frozen ice world four times as big as kerbin. It has a mostly yellow surface, thought to be made of sulphur from its now extinct massive volcanoes. This planet has the largest volcano in the solar system.

Fazjuni

The last known planet in the Kerbol system, Fazjuni is a frozen relic from the formation of the Kerbol system. It is twice as big as kerbin, with a very thin atmosphere.

Picules

Picules is arguably the most interesting planet in the solar system. It is a gas giant that has an extremely elliptical orbit. When it last entered the inner solar system, it was observed by telescopes and found out to have two moons. The rest are thought to have been scattered when it was thrown out of its original solar system, and now travel the void between the start as rouge planets themselves.

It has an extremely inclined orbit, with an inclination of 79.5 degrees.

The planet X

However, there is thought to be a planet X somewhere beyond even Picules\' orbit. If this is true, it may have captured some of Picules\' stray moons as they entered our system, as Picules and its moons would have been thrown out in the general same direction.

-Thread will be updated!-

If that object were on a highly inclined orbit, it would still interfere with the inner worlds. Gas giants close to their suns spell doom to terrestrian worlds. Maybe have that object be in a 50,000,000,000X50,000,000,000,000 orbit.

Ah, yes, another bid for how the system will be, no-one expected Minmus (although some expected another moon) and i don\'t think anyone will expect the new planets.

I am all in for the idea of none of the planets (or just very very few) being similar, i like the idea of two planets orbiting each other, tilted orbits etc. Make the system chaos and very challenging to explore.

I do, however, think that the gas giant might not be able to survive this sort of orbit, it\'s made out of gas, and the continuous super-heating and cooldown can throw off the atmosphere over time.

My suggestion for designing the systems is simple: call up or write to some astrophysicists. I\'m sure there\'ll be lots that will happily talk about their field and provide all kinds of interesting and (semi) realistic possibilities or even actual discoveries. Knowing that some facsimile of the in-game thingie is out there would be very cool

HarvesteR said in an interview a while back that the first new celestial bodies would come in a big bunch. For programming reasons as well as gameplay, by giving us the whole bunch at once instead of dropping them in one by one they wouldn\'t get boring so fast.

We did get minmus this update though so perhaps that\'s not to be taken as gospel.

HarvesteR said in an interview a while back that the first new celestial bodies would come in a big bunch.

He retracted that; from the \'dev chat\' thread in stickied in GD:

[16:03] <@HarvesteR> well, yeah, I don\'t think we\'d be able to release the entire solar system in a single update

[16:03] <@HarvesteR> because our terrain system still has no support for things like gas giants, or ring systems

[16:03] <@HarvesteR> so we\'ll probably start with the rocky planets first

with the exception of the rouge gas giant\'s orbit. i like this idea, with one change id like a small mun sized planet with a very high density like 1.5 kerban g\'s at it surface and no atmosphere. give it very smoth features no more than .5k mountains or vallies, and a short day of around 5 hr give it a closer orbit to kerbol. this would be a lot of fun to orbit at 2k going 4 or 5 kps and propose a challenge to land on due to its rotation rate and gravity effect.

Ah, yes, another bid for how the system will be, no-one expected Minmus (although some expected another moon) and i don\'t think anyone will expect the new planets.

I am all in for the idea of none of the planets (or just very very few) being similar, i like the idea of two planets orbiting each other, tilted orbits etc. Make the system chaos and very challenging to explore.

I do, however, think that the gas giant might not be able to survive this sort of orbit, it\'s made out of gas, and the continuous super-heating and cooldown can throw off the atmosphere over time.

I like the idea of binary planets(Pluto and Charon are practically such), but I have to wonder what it would be like to visit them with the way the game SOI works. There wouldn\'t be a barycenter to take advantage of.

I think having LOADS of planets would be over the top. It\'s best to have at most 8 or 9, like our solar system, but to make each one as unique as possible. Also, binary planets would be incredible; that\'s a different thread.

Over all, this map is a great piece of work. I like it.

I agree, too many SOIs for the ship to have to pass through (for the coding to have to calculate) might result in the course of the ship not representing anything like it would do in real life, due to the game\'s inability to account for more than one gravitational source at a time.

The N-Body problem, I believe.

Murs

A temperate desert. Has an atmosphere about half as thick as kerbin\'s. Its surface is mostly tan-coloured due to the vast amounts of Silicon dioxide on its surface, but there are patches of yellow because of Sulfur, which was spewed out by giant volcanoes long ago. The extinct volcanoes still remain, and one of them is the second-largest in the solar system. Four moons, Two minmus-sized rocks called Ti and Ona and two objects about half as big as the mun, called Shokpli (which has large lakes of frozen water on its surface, shattered into spectacular ice craters and shards by asteroid impacts) and one called Rizik.

Patches of sulfur.

Jeb-Hey that yellow outcropping seems safe to land on.

Mission Control-Wait Jeb, the probe shows signs of-

KERBOOOM

Patches of sulfur.

Jeb-Hey that yellow outcropping seems safe to land on.

Mission Control-Wait Jeb, the probe shows signs of-

KERBOOOM

Well, they\'re small patches. And if anything, It\'ll be sulphur dioxide. I mean, if the silicon oxidised, the sulphur would too, wouldn\'t it?

Well, they\'re small patches. And if anything, It\'ll be sulphur dioxide. I mean, if the silicon oxidised, the sulphur would too, wouldn\'t it?

Sulfur dioxide, is still very flammable. But, if this is added, no body land on the yellow spots on murs, unless you want fireworks kerbals on the mun will be saying. 'What was that.'

Sulfur dioxide, is still very flammable. But, if this is added, no body land on the yellow spots on murs, unless you want fireworks kerbals on the mun will be saying. 'What was that.'

I guess landing on Io IRL isn\'t very safe either then.

It does need oxygen to burn, tho...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.