Who do I have to bribe to get stock hinges?

I've been playing this game for quite a while now. Squad has done a great job with the game. They've added features like planes, etc, that I didn't think I'd care for at first, but have ended up being fantastic additions. Contracts and resources have added meaning to the game. They've added a plethora of parts for almost every occasion - except generic hinges. When I think of all the crazy stuff I could do with those...

Yes, I know there are mods. I don't prefer mods. They often lag releases, mod maintainers go away, models break entirely between versions, and they often upset the game balance that Squad carefully created. I'm not knocking some of the incredible work that the mod authors do, but I really like officially-supported parts, since I know those get the Squad touch, and are considered as part of the whole game.

Squad, could you please, please, consider some basic, flat hinges? Say, small, medium, and large, with adjustable range of motion. A rotating "hinge" or axle set would be nice too, but really, a set of flat hinges would get 'r dun for me.

I'm sure this is the 123498170239481st request for this, but here we are at 1.1 - new engines are nice and all, but we have lots of those already!

Edited by borzwazie

I'm sure this is the 123498170239481st request for this, but here we are at 1.1 - new engines are nice and all, but we have lots of those already!

I was actually shocked to see that this is not on the “What not to suggest†list. I fully agree with you, and with the newest release the magnitude of this omission is getting bigger and bigger. Before aerodynamics one could argue that while it's optically offensive there's no real penalty in having booms and crew quarters sticking out when launching. But that has changed since 1.0

Of course you could attach those parts later on with docking, but that's incredibly expensive in career mode, not to mention the time required to do so, and the resulting noodlification of your ship as a result.

IR pretty much shows the way to go but at the same time is probably the reason Squad is weary implementing it. It's not just hinges; you'll need rotator plates and sliding rails as well (“why do we have only hinges when we obviously need slider rails too?â€Â). And some way to apply struts (á la quantum struts) after rotation/translation takes place. That makes it a fairly involved project.

But now that there's renewed focus on the parts collection (given all the goodies to be released with 1.1) I hope this will become something Squad is going to look into.

Personally I would much prefer that Squad focus on adding new parts to the game instead of redesigning existing ones that work fine in the current game. The top two additions on my list are the hinges you you're talking about, and electric propellers.

JR

I can see a ton of uses for stock hinges that would benefit the game, especially with the new aerodynamic model. Landers that have offset gear that fold up during launch to fit into a fairing. Pylons with unfolding solar panels that can extend out to maximize their exposure. Wings on tiny spaceplanes that fold so they can fit inside a large cargo bay for transport to other planets, etc.

I have been asking this question for YEARS myself. Where are the stock hinges, ball bearings/rotors?

They said years ago that they wanted to release individual parts, instead of full fledged parts like bays with baydoors so that people can be more creative, but instead years later they actually do release bays with doors that open and close.

If they had instead released these as individual parts, then we could have used the hinges/hydralics in a more creative way that they were never intended for.

So really we do need some more simple stock parts, so that we can be creative and create something unique.

Another thing I dont get is why we have no windows or at least a way to change panels to be transparent. I myself would want to make even the cockpits/pods from scratch, but to do that you would need some form of glass. Bases would look much nicer and realistic as well if we had glass windows.

I don't want lots of complicated automation; that way lies QA madness for Squad. I get that they haven't added a full suite of stuff like Robotics. Testing all those things isn't easy. That sort of thing is a good place for mod authors to step in - ideas can be fleshed out here without flushing all of Squad's testing time down a rathole.

People have already done some incredible things to mimic hinges using stock parts, but they're always ungainly, rarely reliable, and really spam the part count. They've not good candidates for problem solutions in career mode.

Two hinge types are all we need:

1) A basic flat hinge. This will have two attachment points on each face, and a controllable range of motion (set in the VAB would be fine).

2) A basic rotating axle. This will have one attachment point on each end, a controllable range of motion, and the ability to switch between clockwise, and counter-clockwise rotation, also set in the VAB.

Squad could use a single model for each, scaled to three sizes. It's a hinge, I don't care how pretty it is :) If they wanted to get fancy, they could add a speed adjustment, and infinite rotation for the rotating hinge, but I think a first pass at this stuff doesn't need that stuff.

In 0.9 there was a module in the code for a motorised bearing, there just wasn't any parts that took advantage of it. It might still be in there somewhere.

If I recall correctly moving parts had a few issues with not saving properly, clipping and spontanious explosions.

In 0.9 there was a module in the code for a motorised bearing, there just wasn't any parts that took advantage of it. It might still be in there somewhere.

If I recall correctly moving parts had a few issues with not saving properly, clipping and spontanious explosions.

It was there even before 0.9.. Was according to Yargnit most likely coming within a few releases as they just had to fix those bugs.

Instead nothing happened.. My guess is that whoever was responsible was fired/replaced and it has since been forgotten about. :(

The physics and physical models have come a long way since .9 :D Spontaneous explosions are just part of the fun.

Anyway, I'm not looking for an exhaustive list of programmable robotics parts, I think those are better served by the mod builders. I'd be very content with basic, stock hinges.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.