Can we talk about how buggy the Structural Pylon is?

This guy: 104px-Structural_Pylon.png

This guy has produced some wild bugs in some of my designs. Anything from inexplicable balance issues to being teleported into a black void when trying to revert a flight, with engines firing that I didn't stage.

My latest ship to use them I can't even load the ship file anymore. As soon as I added them none of the VAB buttons would work and all the parts wouldn't adhere to stages. Even after a VAB reload. It's a wild ride.

Anyone have any designs just completely marred by this thing? I'm impressed, frankly.

Here's the ship file in case anyone else has never experienced this: http://www.filedropper.com/structuralpylonsmyass

Edited by KasperVld
language

Honestly, in over 2 years of playing KSP, I have never used this thing. I actually learnt it could act as a decoupler only very recently.

Just use a radial decoupler and let this guy join Dres and docking mode (since 1.0) in the realms of forsaken KSP features...

Part of the issue for replication is that even attaching stuff to it is really hard....it's hard to select in the build mode if you want to move it, and it always feels as if the actual collision mesh of the part doesn't match what you're looking at (although I daresay it probably does match it).....it may have improved in the 1.0 family of versions, but I ditched it back in 0.23 or so and never looked back. It's just a horrible, horrible part. Sad really, because the idea of it is actually pretty good.

EDIT: I have also had some glitches with it, but that's so far back it may not be applicable with the part today.

If you can post a step-by-step reproduction of one or more of these issues I am positive you will generate some discussion :P

Set up some asparagus staging with them as your decouplers. Then try and copy them and attach the copies. I seem to have a 100% success rate with producing bugs with these things, you really can't not do it if you use them frequently. Or like, play with that ship file I linked.

And what Fendleton said, the thing's collision mesh is nowhere near correct, it's really difficult to even select the dang things in build.

Edited by Franklin

As many have said, nobody really uses this part because regular ol' decouplers exist, so it could have slipped through QA and Experimental testing because it's so ignored. I'll have a go with messing with the part today to see what bugs I can find with it. Is there a bugtracker post for this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.