Orbiting the sun

kacperrutka26

I am orbiting the sun because when I tried to get to minmus I thought it would be further away and then I started to orbit the sun, Can someone tell me how to get back into kerbins orbit or maybe even minmus\'? I have fuel left so I can use it but not much though

Please help, These Kerbals want to go home :\'(

You need to do a retro-burn. However, I have been in your situation before and it\'s incredibly hard to get back into Kerbin\'s orbit due to it moving at quite a velocity..

When that happens to me I usually just mark the mission as 'long-term experiment on low-gravity environment and survivability of Kerbals' and either move on to other things, or end the flight.

If you don\'t have much fuel left, you will have a mother of a time canceling your now-ridiculous velocity to get back into Kerbin orbit, let alone to your original destination.

You need to do a retro-burn. However, I have been in your situation before and it\'s incredibly hard to get back into Kerbin\'s orbit due to it moving at quite a velocity..

It\'s not so much that it had such a velocity, but that you had such a velocity relative to it when you left the SOI.

If you\'re still really very very close to the Kerbin SOI, you can point your ship at the KSC marker on the navball and burn for it.

If you\'re not, your best bet is probably to get into a circular orbit in the same plane as Kerbin, but about 30,000 to 40,000 km closer (if you\'re behind Kerbin) or farther out (if you\'re ahead of Kerbin), and wait to catch up.

This will take awhile. KErbin\'s 84,000km SOI is so small compared to its 13 million km orbit that it probabably would be very difficult to intercept at any range, even with the new Patched Conics system, if you were feeling around for it. With the 30,000 km difgerence in orbital altitudes, you\'ll eventually punch back through... if you\'re on the same plane.

Lots, and lots, and lots of luck/patience/skill.

I\'d suggest wait until you get to the opposite side of where you left kerbin\'s orbit, then do a REALLY QUICK (like seriously, not even a second long) retro burn.

That will lower your orbit back to within kerbin\'s reach.

Now you just have to pray it didn\'t shorten your orbital period so much as to \'out-run\' Kerbin

I made a retro burn to shrink the orbit since it was quite far on the apoapsis side. My rockets velocity is larger than kerbins so it travels faster. And I don\'t want to end flight because I like making my missions realistic so I will wait until I get close to kerbin.

By the way, the mission is already 400 days long :D Poor kerbals though, stuck in space for ever (Or a long time) :\'(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.