Is monopropellant/RCS hypergolic propellant?

RandomRyan

The most common monopropellants, hydrazine and hydrogen peroxide, decompose exothermically when they come into contact with some catalyst. One can argue that monopropellant and catalyst react hypergolically, but a single compund cannot be hypergolic, as noted above.

I vaguely remember from John Clark's Ignition that there were actually some rocket fuel scientists who looked into that. I guess the fuel and oxidizer were not hypergolic at storage temperature. If I'm correct then he also stated that the idea was rapidly abandoned as it was, even for rocket scientist standards, pretty insane.

Hypergolic reaction means that two or more substances react upon touching one another without heating up or spark at room temperature, and deliver enough energy to cause visible emission of light, therefore flame erupts.

If a substance AB touches a catalyst C that causes it to decompose violently into A and B, we could call it a hypergolic reaction, why not? It doesn't matter the catalyst is not chemically consumed - it still enters the reaction:

AB + C -> ABC -> A + B + C

or to summarize:

AB --C--> A + B

Catalysts aren't inert materials that magically cause the reaction to proceed. They are reactive, but simply aren't chemically consumed (they are wrecked physically, turning into powder, etc.).

AB is not hypergolic. C is not hypergolic. Their reaction is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.