How can you strengthen a plane's fuselage and wings?

Although I've been in KSP since quite a while, I never mastered the art of buildings fuselages and wings. I sometimes try to make "composite" designs with several fuselages stuck together like some other people do on planes, but I end up with the plane wobbling apart no matter how I try to make it better.

Anyone got tips to stick wings and other parts together? On how to use struts well?

Edited by NotAnAimbot

everyone hates struts, but the general way attachment works in KSP is that

a->b->c->d->e

if you add a strut between e & d then it is not going to be doing much, but between e & b you are strengthening all of the intermediate joints

so when considering how to add struts do it in a way that encompasses as many layers as possible

Well, general tips include strapping everything to it's nearest neighbour with a strut at each end, particularly wings to fuselage, and also wings to wings. Use control surfaces to steer and turn off engine gimbal. Don't over-use reaction wheels. Use the fine controls (capslock) or trim controls (mod qewsad) to steer gently.

The ideal solution is to build designs that don't require multiple fuselage stacks or strutting in the first place. A single fuselage means less frontal area, which means less drag.

Less drag means less engines, fuel to feed them, and structure to carry the fuel.

Less of all this means less wings, which means less struts (preferably none).

Which again means less drag, less engines, and so on.

Barring that...

If you must use struts, they should be triangulated so that they get their strength from geometry instead of mass. Loads should transform into tension and compression, not shear. The attachments should be aligned with airflow to minimize frontal area. They are draggy no matter which way you point them, but they're less draggy when aligned longitudinally.

Best,

-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.