How do I optimize my KSP? ( Stop the damn lag and crash )

Pedro_daher

Recently I was having issues with KSP, after installing so many mods, the game started crashing when I started it... So I decided to force the openGL, and it was ok but still lagging, specially at the launch... My hardware actually is kinda good, a GeForce 760, an i3 dual core, and my new RAM which is 16gb with 2400mhz... Still, the game still crashes if it's not on openGL... And it still lag a lot, so what is the matter? I can run other huge games in 65fps, but KSp is kicking me in the butt, can anyone give me some tips and help?

It's hard to say. Your RAM and GPU look good, but my guess would be that it's the CPU. KPS really likes the GHz, because of it's single thread-ness.

For comparison my HW is 16 GB RAM, GTX 980 and a 4 GHz i7. I'm pretty happy with the way KSP runs in 2560x1080 (sometimes 3440x1440), max setting on everything, except re-entry effects.

I have 34 visual and utility mods, but stock physics and parts only. I can start the game with default dx9, but it won't run for long. With -force-opengl the game runs better and for many hours. Same frame rate, no graphics issues, and less hitching in the editor and elsewhere.

Edited by Val
Convoluted syntax and highlighting

Post your crash-log. It is located in the KSP directory.

However, as mentioned the problem is most likely either one of these:

1) Utilized all available memory which results in a CTD. Remember that KSP runs in 32bit which vastly decreases the memory available to use. It's around 3.5GB.

2) Inadequate CPU. Now, this is less likely than the first problem. An inadequate CPU will affect performance since KSP is a very demanding game for the processor, therefore lag and crashes should be expected. KSP is one of the few games where the CPU is as important as the GPU, if not more important. This also explains why you can play demanding games with stable FPS but not KSP, because those demanding games performance usually depends upon the power of the GPU, and your 760 is fine. However, when you play games which are very CPU intensive (KSP) you don't recieve the same performance because your i3 is inadequate.

I still believe 1) to be the problem though, the crash-logs will reveal it.

So the only thing I should worry about is the processor and not the RAM? I know its not bc of the graphic card, bc I changed the settings to minimun and then to maximum quality... And the FPS didn't change at all... Its really frustrating...

Yes, it is. Hopefully KSP being bound by CPU will become less of a thing with the next patch, 1.1. Updated game engine, that should be able to multi thread better, in theory.

Currently KSP on Windows is 32-bit only, meaning it can only use about 3.5GB of RAM. If it tries to use more than that it crashes. Thus your 16GB of RAM is largely useless for KSP.

The game uses less RAM in OpenGL than it does in DirectX, allowing you to cram a few more mods in before hitting the limit. However, OpenGL gives much lower framerates than DirectX.

Currently, if you want to play in 64-bit, allowing virtually unlimited amounts of RAM, you have to use Linux. Which also means using OpenGL.

The good news is that the upcoming update is upgrading the game to Unity 5.2, which subsequently fixes the 64-bit Windows version. So just be patient and soon you'll be able to use that full 16GB of RAM.

Currently KSP on Windows is 32-bit only, meaning it can only use about 3.5GB of RAM. If it tries to use more than that it crashes. Thus your 16GB of RAM is largely useless for KSP.

The game uses less RAM in OpenGL than it does in DirectX, allowing you to cram a few more mods in before hitting the limit. However, OpenGL gives much lower framerates than DirectX.

Currently, if you want to play in 64-bit, allowing virtually unlimited amounts of RAM, you have to use Linux. Which also means using OpenGL.

The good news is that the upcoming update is upgrading the game to Unity 5.2, which subsequently fixes the 64-bit Windows version. So just be patient and soon you'll be able to use that full 16GB of RAM.

Oh ok, so Unity also helps the 64-bits windows? This is very confusing for me, my PC can run Black Ops in a high quality, but the FPS goes down on KSP...

- - - Updated - - -

Post your crash-log. It is located in the KSP directory.

Is it the output_log? It's the first time someone asks me to post my crash-log in here...

Oh ok, so Unity also helps the 64-bits windows? This is very confusing for me, my PC can run Black Ops in a high quality, but the FPS goes down on KSP...

- - - Updated - - -

Is it the output_log? It's the first time someone asks me to post my crash-log in here...

No the file is named "error". However, you can verify it yourself. If the file states something along these lines: "mono.dll caused an Access Violation", it is more than likely due to memory usage.

Mr@sal_vager suggests that turning off PPFX edge highlighting may improve your performance. link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121313-Memory-Waste-Problem

By the way, in my first post I suggests an answer to your question about performance in KSP versus performance in other games.

... However, OpenGL gives much lower framerates than DirectX ...
That maybe true for some, but I replaced my R9 290X with a GTX 980, because I read on these forums, that newer Nvidia cards (7-, 8-, and 900 series) have no noticeable performance difference with -force-opengl. It works for me in KSP and I see the same result with the other Unity 4 game I play, Dreamfall Chapters.

I'm going to have to agree with most of what the other posters have been saying and say that it is KSP's RAM limit giving you issues.

Since KSP crashes at about 3.5GB, having too many mods will have you reaching this limit quickly. This is more likely than not the root of your issues.

As someone else state, using the -force-opengl should save quite a bit of memory. Alternatively, and this is what I've been using, you can also try -force-d3d11 instead of opengl. Using directX11 has saved me a lot of RAM and still kept my FPS > 40 in most of the average KSP scenes ("mega stations" are another story though :P)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.