Make KSP Run Better

How do i make KSP run better? It runs fine but what really annoys me is that when i start/launch it gets like 2 fps for a minute then i can launch with smooth fps.

Heres my system Specs thanks to Mech Warrior Online System Profiler:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

System RAM: 3454 MB

CPU Name: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz

CPU Speeds: 3000

Physical CPUs: 1

Virtual CPUs: 2

Video Card Description: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

VRAM: 1024 MB

Primary Display Resolution: 1600x1200

Multi-Monitor Desktop Resolution: 1600x1200

Microphone: True

Language: English (United States)

Free Hard Drive Space: 12905 MB

Total Hard Drive Space: 229600 MB

Windows Experience Index Rating: 4.8

You do realize this is alpha software and therefore has had no optimization or tuning done as well as having extra debugging code that runs? These are things that are usually left for the final stages of development.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

i find that using Iorbit Game Booster works well for me. it temporarily kills background apps running on your pc freeing up RAM. Its free now so i\'d get it before its no longer free. but as Capt\'n skunky said, this game is in alpha and has there debugging code running. GB wont end this. just a suggestion.

If all your graphics settings are on lowest, there isn\'t much you can do.

You could try forcing shader model 2, but it will be ugly and might not do anything at all.

Before you do that though, you might want to try the settings file that Mr_Orion made. It has a very low detail setting that might help.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=13682.msg207992#msg207992

The flight scene always takes a bit of time to render, even on my core i7 and nvidia GTX570. You should be looking at framerates during flight, not when the scene is still loading.

You stated that all of your graphics settings are set to the lowest. Have you tried running a lower resolution (1600x1200 is quite high)? Running the game at 1280x1024 or lower may improve frame rates slightly.

Also if you enter the nVidia Control Panel you can force certain settings to run for a particular game. Since KSP won\'t be recognised you can add it manually, then force most of the quality options to \'performance\' or \'off\'.

I\'m not sure if you\'ll have this option with the GT220, but it\'s worth looking at your PhysX setting as well. If you can, try forcing it to run on the CPU only, then GPU only and compare the results to see which better suits your machine.

In the past forcing PhysX to run on my GTX460 GPU provided the best results. However with 0.15 I\'ve noticed that the game has become more GPU intensive I run the PhysX on my Core2Quad Q6600 (running at 3.6GHz) FTW.

As socket7 stated there isn\'t a whole lot you can do about the poor frame rate whilst the scene loads, it does that even on the most powerful systems.

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.