Keeping current/old MK1 cockipit

Sorry If someone has already posted a thread on this but I am lazy.

I'm also relatively new (obviously <5 posts) so if this is not the right place for this post (I did check the thread catagories) let me know.

I heard in the 1.0.5 update ( I haven't been on KSP for about a week) they are changing the MK1 cockpit. I will miss it but the reason why it is very important for it to stay is because of those little bulges on the sides. While some may see it as a nuisance they have been very helpful in helping me design my aircraft. I am fairly certain they will go away with the new cockpit. (It's complicated but it will actually impact my designs (using rotation and offset may make up for it but it would take out a lot of ifs and tests if I could just keep it like it is).

I don't ecxpect them to keep the current one as an alternative as that is not their style.

Is there any way for me to keep that part? Maybe saving it as a new part or something? I just don't know how modding and everything work.

I know I just sound like a total noob in this post but please help.

Yes you can save the part, in the Command section in /KSPdirectory/Gamedata/Squad/Parts/Command or something like that, there should be a Mk1 Cockpit folder. Copy it to the desktop, and when 1.0.5 rolls around, you can plunk the Mk1 Cockpit folder in and use it.

Yes you can save the part, in the Command section in /KSPdirectory/Gamedata/Squad/Parts/Command or something like that, there should be a Mk1 Cockpit folder. Copy it to the desktop, and when 1.0.5 rolls around, you can plunk the Mk1 Cockpit folder in and use it.

Not quite that easy. You have to edit the config, change it's name and file names, and folder name. Otherwise you will overwrite the new one. Unless you just don't want the new one at all.

Okay but can you explain to me how to do that?

The folder is GameData\Squad\Parts\Command\mk1Cockpit, just rename it to something else like mk1JetCockpit.

Then rename the two files inside to match. Then open the *.cfg file in notepad and change the name tag, and the title tag.

One suggestion for Squad, is to make a Squad supported mod that contains old parts. This way they can remove parts, but give them back to people that really want them.

I still think they should do that. It would need configuration rebalancing for the modern game but I'd love to go back to the really retro parts from the earliest versions just for fun. Just an official mod with all of the retired parts in it.

Maybe porkjet could give the old one a facelift since I like both versions.

I believe he already did his facelift (its the new one that looks like a learjet) and dragging out the space plane revamp longer than is need will just result in rage from everyone who feels rockets are being neglected either rightfully or otherwise.

The new cockpit will be functional enough to play the game that is what matters if you want different styles then it would be best to turn to mods.

Kerbal historical institute will carry the old cockpit after it is replaced.

Taerobee has an excellent X1 style cockpit in an identical size format that puts the old mk1 to shame.

And there will likely be many others as there is clearly a demand for alternate cockpits so no need to bother porkjet with the matter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.