Probably a noob question, but how do you make the stock textures opaque?

Which 2d package are you using? and which textures, as an example? it sounds like your package is either reading transparency from the alpha channel ( which is not necessarily transparency info ), or it's Photoshop and you're opening a PNG which needs a few steps to seperate the alpha channel properly.

Dug out the Photoshop PNG settings from another post of mine ( this way I might actually remember them this time :rolleyes: )

* Open PNG

* Layer mask - from transparency

* Channels tab - duplicate layer mask layer as Alpha

* Delete layer mask without applying ( you can just do that from the channel tab )

Edited by Van Disaster

Which 2d package are you using? and which textures, as an example? it sounds like your package is either reading transparency from the alpha channel ( which is not necessarily transparency info ), or it's Photoshop and you're opening a PNG which needs a few steps to seperate the alpha channel properly.

Dug out the Photoshop PNG settings from another post of mine ( this way I might actually remember them this time :rolleyes: )

* Open PNG

* Layer mask - from transparency

* Channels tab - duplicate layer mask layer as Alpha

* Delete layer mask without applying ( you can just do that from the channel tab )

I don't know. I'm really a texturing noob.

Maybe I shouldn't be doing this...

If you don't have PS you can use gimp or even the Blender .MU importer to take the Alpha from the textures. The Alpha layer is for the specular information.

I believe you can re-use Squad's textures so long as it's in the GameData\Squad directory.

What you're seeing is the alpha channel transparency. If you use Blender to map a model to them, it won't be necessary to change them. You can view the color channels from within the program so you can see what you're mapping stuff to.

Otherwise you'll have to convert it somehow. I've never found particularly helpful information regarding how to do this "correctly". Typically I'll use Paint.net to convert to a DDS format that does not support alpha channel, thereby removing it. Then you can convert it to PNG. If you convert straight to PNG with an alpha channel, you just end up with transparency.

PS - And remember to save an unaltered copy of the file somewhere before you start fiddling with it.

PSS - If you're using a texture that is available in the GameData folder, then you can re-use it, but you wouldn't need to redistribute it if you decided to put something out. You can just use a MODEL node to path to it, but I imagine I could have just said "gooble gobbledegookla oog oog ah" and it would have been just as helpful to you at this point. ;)

Edited by Randazzo

If your using Photoshop you will need nvidia texture tools plugin set transparency by selecting the background layer and hitting "Ctrl+J" to duplicate the layer. Then use the the "background eraser" tool to erase the lower layer. Select the top layer and slide the opacity slider to the desired lever(use the fill slider if your want to preserve blending options). Save As.. "D3D/3DS" select the "DXT5-ARGB" format, under image options select "color map" from the drop down and make sure the "generate MIP map" option is on.

• 7 months later...