I Can Munshoot Alpha 13

One thing that made it so much harder, was that the Alpha versions didn't show you your trajectory when you go into another body's SOI, until you actually ARE IN the body's SOI.

Yea... maneuver nodes and patched conic displays are really great additions

Luckily, if you just stick your Ap to barely touch the Mun's orbit, when you enter its SOI (not timewarping way past the transition), its cheap to correct.

I doubt I could do an efficient interplanetary transfer.... or even a good transfer to minmus (which, along wth the other planets, doesn't exist in that version).... but the good ol' burn prograde for ~850 m/s when Mun comes up over the horizon works well enough

• 3 weeks later...

Bluegillbronco2:

Is it acceptable to use a YouTube video as a submission? My YouTube is the exact same as my fourm name...

Yes. In fact, I usually video most of my challenge attempts.

You can post your youtube video with the tag.

- - - Updated - - -

littlebuddy0:

I did a mun landing and return and discovered how OP RCS was in 0.13.3

I took the screenshots with the Windows Snipping Tool

Cool, I hadn't even tried the RCS in 0.13. Good job on the Mun landing. :D

Adding you to the Alpha Dog list.

Edited by killakrust

Oh, nostalgia! I'll make a try at a classic munshot on Saturday.

Some information for the noobs over here from a veteran who's been here since .12:

- No patched conics. When you will complete your transfer burn, you probably will have to wait out several orbits until you will get a capture.

- No electricity. Ships can be left in space for many years because they won't run out of anything.

- Only one ship at a time. The game won't handle multiple ships, I think that debris will get deleted once they get out of sight. Direct ascent, no docking in orbit.

- Different physics. The game won't punish you for designing ugly asparagus rockets since there is no heat and aerodynamic failures are nearly impossible. This also means that there are many glitches and bugs you can make use of. Example: firing engines at half the throttle will only consume a quarter of the fuel.

- The game was much simpler back then. Only Kerbin, Mun and Kerbol. No IVA's, and you are stuck with the Original Three (Jeb, Bill and Bob)

- No plugins. Forget 'Jeb and Engineer. You'll have to do it the hard way and learn from failure.

- The game was easier back then. As said before, things that would cause catastrophic failure now would be left unpunished in 0.13.

- There is something on the Mun that was deleted later (or was it deleted in .12?), but I won't spoil it for you.

Since I never played the Alpha, I figured I should do this now.

My first try to orbit Kerbin, just to get a feel for the parts, ended in disaster. I tore my chute off during reentry - the guys didn't make it...

I would like to avoid this in the future, is there something special to pay attention to or was I just unlucky?

After my first test disaster with the chute, I successfully got into Mun orbit and returned.
Accidentally burned normal instead of radial to avoid slamming into the Mun - Jeb blames Bill's calculations for this, and who am I to argue?

Anyway, the resulting inclined orbit gave the three Kerbals some trouble with the return, but in the end everybody is safe at home now.

I had fun playing the Alpha, thanks for sharing the links and the challenge!

Edited by RocketPropelledGiraffe

20 hours ago, RocketPropelledGiraffe said:

After my first test disaster with the chute, I successfully got into Mun orbit and returned.
Accidentally burned normal instead of radial to avoid slamming into the Mun - Jeb blames Bill's calculations for this, and who am I to argue?

Anyway, the resulting inclined orbit gave the three Kerbals some trouble with the return, but in the end everybody is safe at home now.

I had fun playing the Alpha, thanks for sharing the links and the challenge!

Excellent job. Adding you to the Alpha Dog list. :cool:

Ahahahaha!

So I was running 0.13 back when I was working on my PhD thesis. Sleep-deprived, caffinated, and half-dead from anxiety, I fell to a strange sort of madness that cared only for munbases.

So I built a few. I used mods, though, so I dunno if that counts. In my madness I (over-)excitedly and comprehensively (obsessedly) documented the missions and posted to the forum. Looking back I can't fathom why . . .

Here's the Farside I, which was a small (by current standards) munbase on the far side of the mun, with a return vehicle attached. It also included a mun-orbital space station and a kerbin-orbital satellite. Of course back then such things disappear once they are 5km away, but in my fevered imagination they lived on . . .

Here's the farside II, which was basically a small office building landed on the mun.

Ah yes. Good times. And by "good times", I mean that that period of my life almost killed me. But I did make some cool spaceships . . .

I even found my old installation of 0.13. All the ships are still there!

http://i.imgur.com/24HXTbE.png

I managed to get to the mün in the demo. And it's my favorite destination in 1.0.5. How hard could this be?

Besides wanting to go the mün, I'm curious to see just how the KSP alpha was. I started playing only a few months before 1.0 released. 

And you've made an awesome badge. 

Edited by Ehco Corrallo
Forgot about awesome badge.

On 10/12/2015, 8:17:59, Ehco Corrallo said:

I managed to get to the mün in the demo. And it's my favorite destination in 1.0.5. How hard could this be?

Besides wanting to go the mün, I'm curious to see just how the KSP alpha was. I started playing only a few months before 1.0 released. 

And you've made an awesome badge. 

Why, thank you. :D

I think I started playing around 0.19 or maybe one version earlier, so was interested to see how far KSP has developed since even earlier.  I think it's amazing how many tools there are in KSP now that make everything so much easier, so it was a fun challenge to do something that now is quite routine, but in 0.13 had me work at all stages of the flight to ensure mission success.

On the pad

muna1.jpg

Lift off

muna2.jpg

Kerbin orbit

muna3.jpg

Mun flyby

muna4.jpg

Safe return

muna5.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

2 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

I think I started playing around 0.19 or maybe one version earlier, so was interested to see how far KSP has developed since even earlier.  I think it's amazing how many tools there are in KSP now that make everything so much easier, so it was a fun challenge to do something that now is quite routine, but in 0.13 had me work at all stages of the flight to ensure mission success.

On the pad

muna1.jpg

Lift off

muna2.jpg

Kerbin orbit

muna3.jpg

Mun flyby

muna4.jpg

Safe return

muna5.jpg

Well done. Adding you to the Alpha Dog list. Will add a special commendation for KSC landing accuracy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.