Ridiculous RAM usage - Tried All Standard Solutions

Do mods have such a huge effect on memory usage? What kind of mods take up the most memory? I've tried pulling out parts I don't use or mods that aren't crucial but it doesn't seem to save any memory. It seems like parts would take up the most memory but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Is Squad working on an x64 version for Windows?

I tried a USB bootable Linux Mint but getting Nvidia drivers to work was akin to beating my head against a brick wall. Do other distributions make it easier?

Thanks for those posting help and tips.

My increase in memory usage is almost linearly scaled with the size of my gameData folder. Problem is, removing one mod of 100mb doesn't appear to make much difference on Windows. parts packs usually do. Although, apparantly, in OpenGL mode the textures are unloaded from RAM once they're sent to the GPU which should reduce your memory footprint(it doesn't anymore, for me).

I had no trouble installing the Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu or Lubuntu. Just run the following two commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

This adds the repository with the new up-to-date Nvidia drivers.

Then run the following command:

sudo apt-get nvidia-340

The "340" part can be changed to "346" or "355" depending on those drivers supporting your GPU. If you have a 700+ series 355 should work fine.

The game doesn't release ram at all.

that is the only problem. windows, linux... Doesnt matter - its the same for both

From initial load, it climbs with every screen change, until it crashes.

You are required to restart the game very often. the number of mods only decides how often.

there is a serious memory leak in KSP, but i havent seen anything from the devs saying they acknowledge it or have a fix coming.

Please, i want to hear something from a developer that isnt a work around or jumping through hoops.

@crparris: I'm not sure how memory allocation differs between Windows and Linux but Linux does free the excess memory that KSP builds up a lot quicker and more efficiently than my Windows install. However, the game loads on Linux with about 1GB more RAM usage. Which pushes it over my system limit(4GB).

Even on Windows I

've seen that the game clears out most of its memory usage after some time in the same scene(such as spending an hour or so in space).

@crparris: I'm not sure how memory allocation differs between Windows and Linux but Linux does free the excess memory that KSP builds up a lot quicker and more efficiently than my Windows install. However, the game loads on Linux with about 1GB more RAM usage. Which pushes it over my system limit(4GB).

Even on Windows I

've seen that the game clears out most of its memory usage after some time in the same scene(such as spending an hour or so in space).

ill have to try that, because from my experience, i start the game at 2.4GB and within an hour of playing am at the 4GB limit of the 32bit exe. (i have 24Gb RAM).

i dual boot ubuntu and the game runs fine on it; the only reason why i dont play the linux version is the game wont limit frames and my video card runs with fans at maximum because im pushing 150fps and cant limit it to 30 or 60.

ill have to try that, because from my experience, i start the game at 2.4GB and within an hour of playing am at the 4GB limit of the 32bit exe. (i have 24Gb RAM).

i dual boot ubuntu and the game runs fine on it; the only reason why i dont play the linux version is the game wont limit frames and my video card runs with fans at maximum because im pushing 150fps and cant limit it to 30 or 60.

Exactly the same with me. I've done some testing and if I'm actively buildingm, then testing rockets constantly changing scenes I hit the RAM limit pretty quickly.

But if I do one launch, rendezvous and go flying around and don't return to the VAB or Space Centre the RAM usage goes down and stabilizes fairly low. But only until you go back to the VAB or Space Centre at which point it goes up another 300mb to 600mb or so.

Not really sure about the Linux. try VSync? I've always found KSP's VSync to be a bit buggy and laggy though. My frame limiter on Linux also didn't work immediately. But the next time I started the game it went down to 60 max.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.