Satellite. is this part of the game???

So I got the satellite to Mun to do an orbit contract, and of course I had the wrong rotation. So I decided to see if I can reverse my orbit.

I get lined up with the opposing path within reasonable deviation before I reverse my orbit.

When I added the maneuver and began my burn, it flipped the rotation for me automatically, and actually took very very little fuel.

is the flip maneuver a feature in the game or did I do something?

regardless, super helpful.

You just had a high TWR. The Mun has a lot less gravity than Kerbin so it's easy to underestimate how overpowered your engine might be in relation to the weight of your craft. Doing a 180 reversal is pretty cheap around the Mun. The higher your orbit, the cheaper it becomes.

When needing to alter my inclination (or 'do a 180) ive found it uses less overall dV to increase your apoapsis, do the turn at apoapsis then lower your apoapsis again.

In fact, it is always cheaper to do it this way for a 180° flip. Basically you trade time for ÃŽâ€V (since it takes longer to perform the whole maneuver).

I had to do that with a manned craft at 16 km, and it actually worked, though that craft was well over 10t. Given how small satellites usually are it's a perfectly reasonable maneuver. Just don't attempt it on anything larger than the Mun, as it gets exponentially more risky form there due to higher orbital speeds.

Edited by Sanic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.