CD-ROM not opening.

bandit4910

Well On my 2/3 year old PC(It\'s an acer aspire X1200...) the CD drive that has been there since we got it refuses to open. I have tried EVERYTHING even the paper clip method, it refuses to open. It\'s a 'Labelflash' CD ROM. (According to the front of the drive.) When I press the open button I hear several thumps, it sounds like he mechanism that opens it is hitting the side of the drive. Unfortunatley we don\'t have a warranty as this PC is bought from a renting place.(It was suppost to be a temporary PC.) I was wondering if the drive is bad because we need this for almost every game I play.(I even have backups of MC and my KSP saves,plugins,rocket folders on CDs.) I got it manually opened with a christmas ornament clip.

PC or laptop?

Both should be removable from the machine, then it\'s a matter of taking a screwdriver to the drive to carefully take the top cover off. then you can usually just remove whatever obstruction is there.

desktop CD drives are cheap, might as well just get a new one.

Pull the broken one out of your computer (with it turned off of course) and try and open it up and fix it yourself.

It will be a fun adventure, and if you cant fix it, it was broken to begin with and you were going to replace it anyways.

If you\'re going to replace it, just try to manually force it/yank it open.

I had a drive having a similar problem. Forcing it open revealed a CD that wasn\'t seated properly; it was jamming it.

This is your chance to add a DVD read-write to the machine! If you really want to go nuts, get a Blu-ray player and/or writer :D

That\'s what currently is in the machine. The onlytwo computers that don\'t is my research computer(Which I use for gaming xD.) and my sisters used old laptop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.