Ore per cubic meter?

How much ore is there per Cubic meter or whatnot in KSP? I'm trying to recreate a ship and am trying to convert it but I haven't found anything to do that particular measurement. This is the last piece of data I need to scale the ore containers properly.

Edited by Arugela

You could figure out the volumetric density of ore from the size of the stock holding tanks.

Go to the VAB, and locate one of the holding tanks in the parts menu. Next to the rotating icon you'll see a little size scale, in meters. You can estimate the tank's height H and diameter D from that, and then it's simply a matter of dividing the tank's ore capacity (in "units") by the volume of the tank (it's approx. a cylinder, so its volume is V = pi*(D/2)^2*H).

The large holding tank is about the same size as a rockomax X200-16 tank so about 2.5m diameter by about 2.4m high giving a volume of just under 12m³ and a 15 tonne capacity. The smaller tank's volume is about 3m³ holding 3 tonnes so you're looking at somewhere between 1-1.25t/m³.

Would 1.95 tons be accurate then? I'm building a ship from Star citizen and their SCUs(Standard Cargo Unit) are 1.95 tons per cubic meter. It seems to work conveniently and I wonder if it's not the same logical basis for the unit of ore used in this game. 200units*0.01 is 2 tons which is just over 1.95 tons. So, 195 units per ton per cubic meter?! Unless their 1.95 is rounded of course.

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.