Fastest Speed in Ten Seconds [STOCK]

This challenge is to see who can reach the fastest speeds by burning their engines for no longer than ten seconds. Stock parts only.

Rules:

1) Stock only.

2) No magic turbines or RCS.

3) Can be launched from pad or runway.

4) Can either fly or be on the ground, it is up to you.

5) Three screenshots are needed: Before launch, at the ten second mark just after the engines have cut out, and once the vehicle has come to a halt at the mission report screen.

6) All kerbals must survive all the way up to the point the flight ends.

Leaderboard:

Fermun: 346.5 m/s

Vostok: 327 m/s

Pushingrobot: 318 m/s

Madmak: 307.9 m/s

Hebdomad: 302 m/s

Analogy: 290 m/s

UmbralRaptor: 290 m/s

Rich: 288.6 m/s

Dogon11: 280 m/s

Kerbalnaut: 280 m/s

SteevyT: 266 m/s

Apotheosist: 254 m/s

P512: 241.4 m/s

Knyght: 241 m/s

SteevyT: 228 m/s

Cooly568: 187.1 m/s

You seem to have encountered a bug...

When you use the restart flight button, it messes up fastest speed achieved.

Could you redo the end flight pictures so that we have an accurate speed?

Damn, someone beat me to it! I made a similar craft to Knyght, although even more minimalist, here it is. 254m/s final speed. Fuel runs out bang on 10 seconds, which is convenient :) I used lithobraking to ensure kerbal survival. Didn\'t manage to get a screenshot on 10 seconds exactly, will try again.

Damn you, I was just about to try that! In fact I already had that designed first but I couldn\'t fly it without ASAS because I\'m terrible.

Also, yes, the running out of fuel at 10 seconds is convenient indeed... I wonder if it could be scaled up without adding weight...

I also tried a cart for a land attempt but it does like to flip around and explode a lot...

New record 266m/s.

On the pad.

uPuEX.png

Just after engine cut off.

bcQAY.png

Any landing you can walk away from....

Eci5f.png

Top speed 266 m/s

hBDVo.png

Here is my attempt. I call it more boosters. Max speed reached 292.3 m/s

On the pad:

screenshot40.png

Max speed (Sorry, cannot cut off engines)

screenshot42.png

Final screen (Only a second or two after the 10 second mark

screenshot43.png

The Kerbals didn\'t survive though....

I guess I am not quite sure I understand rule number 6. Do you mean that the crew has land safely, or do you mean that the crew must survive until you hit the end mission button (which can be anytime in flight)

Most people have interpreted it as 'land safely.' Nothing\'s been said about stage separations so it\'s pretty easy to just throw in a decoupler and a parachute to satisfy that. Having to land the entire craft safely would make this much much more difficult.

BTW, I\'ve made another craft for this challenge but I can\'t load it up on the launchpad without the thing falling apart... Anyone have any ideas?

Most people have interpreted it as 'land safely.' Nothing\'s been said about stage separations so it\'s pretty easy to just throw in a decoupler and a parachute to satisfy that. Having to land the entire craft safely would make this much much more difficult.

BTW, I\'ve made another craft for this challenge but I can\'t load it up on the launchpad without the thing falling apart... Anyone have any ideas?

May I suggest putting decouplers on the bottom with fuel tanks under them as stands?

I assume that if I run out of fuel before the 10s are up, my max speed (290 m/s) still counts?

10SRacer0.png

10SRacer1.png

10SRacer2.png

10SRacer3.png

edit: feh. I had a 313 m/s design, but it was actually burning for ~10.7 s. This 302 m/s design is doable, though:

10SRacer30.png

10SRacer31.png

10SRacer32.png

Edit 2: I need a clarification: do the engines need to be off as of the start of 10 seconds MET, or the end? With my current designs, this is the difference between 316 m/s and 327 m/s (bracketing pushingrobot\'s 318 m/s). Also, I\'m fairly sure that these exploit fuel bugs in 0.15.x. Is that an issue?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.