"Contract" mod for BDArmory, based on strategy.

Matuchkin

Let's get one thing out of the way first. I put the word Contract in double quotation marks because by "Contract", I mean "Full-blown campaign." There's just no way to avoid one with this mod idea.

Anyway, some background info: I got the inspiration for this idea by reading the book Kill Chain: The Rise of the High-Tech Assassins, by Andrew Cockburn. It is a documentary that focuses on the evolution of the military world (mostly on unmanned technology and various other such networks, but that's too much already). The beginning of the book focuses on the idea in general, investigating deep into the Vietnam War, the Laos bombings, and WWII. Namely, it focuses on Task Force Alpha (operation Igloo White and Rolling Thunder). I was inspired to propose this idea.

The general problem that I see with BDArmory is its lack of strategy. Mostly, I see people competing with each other on topics such as "Who's fighter is better," or "can you beat THIS?" but, so far, none of those competitions focus on strategy and creativity as much as they focus on the aspects of an individual military device. Sure, you can create some things that are used strategically in Real Life, but, in the end, you'll just be pitting it off against something else, seeing how agile or strong it is.

I generally wanted to see what people would think about it by sneaking some craft ideas into several threads. However, last time I did that, a situation ensued, after which I replaced my status with <"Are you brain dead?" -The_Mad_Emu>. No, I'm not posting links to that thread, thank-you-very-much. So, I'm proposing a mod that completely tilts BDArmory to the strategic side, by use of these factors:

- "Contracts" (again, quotation marks), that make combat focus purely on strategy. Drone recconaissance, troop distribution, new offense and defense ideas that could change the tide of war completely (like operation Igloo White, if you know about it). The contracts will also be based on the decisions of the enemy's side, the actions of your troops (yes, troops, you'll have an actual organized military network) will be decided by you.

Politics. The events that you choose to do will greatly influence your relationships with other countries (basic borders drawn out on the map, with basic rules according to them). This is important, and greatly influences military decisions.

Many more. Yes, I keep forgetting if I wanted to write anything else into this post, or I'm just too lazy. Therefore, I write "many more" or "etc" after every list I make, to negate any complaints against my lack of points, knowledge, etc. Nice try, military genius.

Anyway, if done correctly, reconnaissance, logistics, etc will be the main aspect of war, not the quality of machinery. Using the environment given by this mod, a KSP player will be able to give his contraptions the true test, as part of an organized military network. Jets and tanks won't win wars, unmanned drone networks (remote tech will be awesome), "invisible" barriers (again, Igloo White) and strategies would be the factors of victory.

By the way, Igloo White failed. The last recording of the top-secret operation was of a Viet-Cong soldier taking a kraken on an acoustic sensor. Nice...

Edited by 073198681

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.