Biome "Poles" at Mun's equator?

There are a number of biome location glitches throughout the game.  For instance, there's a small patch of tundra on the plateau just W of KSC.  Such things, however, are a minor nit to pick with the game (they don't break it or have a significant impact on playability) and will take a lot of time to fix, going through each planet spotting tiny patches of mislabeled biome.  Thus, I don't expect them really ever to get fixed as long as the game has more seriouis problems.

This is actually scientifically explainable: when meteors hit, part of the debris can fly a very long distance before settling back down on the surface, due to the low gravity. You just found part of what used to fill one of the polar craters... :wink:

1 hour ago, MagicFireCaster said:

Yup definitively a bug, you reports and science also say they are taken from there? 

Yep.

33 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

This is actually scientifically explainable: when meteors hit, part of the debris can fly a very long distance before settling back down on the surface, due to the low gravity. You just found part of what used to fill one of the polar craters... :wink:

Sounds reasonable. :D

4 hours ago, nuclearping said:

Bug or feature?

Could you provide the Lat/Lon coordinates at this location?  I play stock, and I'm curious if this is mod related or not.  You can find the Lat/Lon coordinates in Map View, clicking on the info button.  At least one of your mods probably can provide that info as well.

On 9.1.2016 at 8:06 PM, RexKramer said:

Could you provide the Lat/Lon coordinates at this location?  I play stock, and I'm curious if this is mod related or not.  You can find the Lat/Lon coordinates in Map View, clicking on the info button.  At least one of your mods probably can provide that info as well.

Sure, here you go:

Poles:
1° 2' 32" N
274° 6' 9" W

Polar Lowlands:
0° 55' 56" N
274° 10' 15" W

8 hours ago, nuclearping said:

Sure, here you go:

Poles:
1° 2' 32" N
274° 6' 9" W

Polar Lowlands:
0° 55' 56" N
274° 10' 15" W

Thanks nuclearping.  Nope, not a mod issue, I saw the same thing in stock.  Interesting.  As Geschosskopf mentioned, there's several biome quirks in the game, I hadn't seen this one.  The fact that this one has "Poles" in the biome caught my attention.  There used to be a bug where you would get credit for visiting Pol if you visited any biome with the letters "pol" in it, including the 'poles' of planets and moons, and even the KSC 'FlagPOLe'.  That one was fixed quite a while ago.

I also saw the Polar Lowlands by driving a little south of the Poles location you specified.  Just a short drive north of those locations the biomes return to normal, so this is a good spot to grab science from 3 biomes with a short drive!  Until it gets fixed anyway.  Thanks for posting the coordinates.

Back in version 0.90, there was something similar where the borders between two biomes occasionally would include other, unrelated biomes.  It was attributed to an issue with the way adjacent textures are blended together when sampling the biome data map.  For example, if two adjacent areas were, say, biome #2 and biome #10, the blended area between them might end up as biome #6.  From what I recall, it sounded like they were using an averaging of the two biomes, instead of a nearest-neighbor method.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.