Quite possibly a couple of firsts?

Speeding Mullet

So I decided to do asteroids.  Never had much luck before but after watching about 200 videos, and buoyed by the recent success of the Buran 11F35 Kerbal 1 I decided to try and land an asteroid...On Kerbin....From interplanetary space....Using my Buran replica shuttle.  Oh and Patcan Kerman would try and become the first Kerbal ever to re-enter from interplanetary space while riding an asteroid attached to a shuttle.

Let's see how the crew got on:

Now I'm hesitantly claiming a couple of firsts here, but happy to be corrected.  I think I might be:

First to land an asteroid on Kerbin using a shuttle replica.
First ever chair riding asteroid aerobrake from interplanetary space.  If I'm this, then I'm also the First ever chair riding asteroid aerobrake from interplanetary space using a shuttle replica haha!

Firsts or not I had a blast doing this mission, learnt all about intercepting asteroids, and learnt that my shuttle replica was way more capable than I thought.  as a result I thought it worth sharing!

SM

Nice one. Lovely engineering, well executed mission. The re-entry pictures are priceless - totally worthy of the 'screenshots that make you laugh' thread.

But that poor Kerbal... Landing an asteroid in a chair from interplanetary space... a most memorable feat, but it would have been more impressive if he survived to hold press conferences after. ^_^

21 hours ago, Evanitis said:

Nice one. Lovely engineering, well executed mission. The re-entry pictures are priceless - totally worthy of the 'screenshots that make you laugh' thread.

But that poor Kerbal... Landing an asteroid in a chair from interplanetary space... a most memorable feat, but it would have been more impressive if he survived to hold press conferences after. ^_^

Thanks very much indeed!  The re-entry I was actually laughing at points so I have gone and posted there!

I think I would have needed a little more fuel and RCS for Patcan to survive, I was kinda tied into a pretty steep de-orbit by the point i'd run out of fuel unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

Hm. Not sure about the chair one, and if Hazardish's SSTO count's as shuttle-ish then also not the first one. But still, impressive!

Ah I was talking very specifically Buran or STS replica shuttles.  I can't even begin to SSTO since 0.2something when looking back it was incredibly easy, so I would bow to someone that had SSTO asteroid recovered in 1.05.

Thanks though, I was mightily impressed that my Buran (and me) managed it.  Poor Patcan though :(

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

8 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I think I would have needed a little more fuel and RCS for Patcan to survive.

My though would have been a core + klaw + cubic strut + heatshield appendage. Or maybe straping the chair on the prograde side... but that would have looked less cool.

This way it was spectacular and single lauch.

By the way, since it took like 4 clicks, I though I could honor the memory of the heroic Patcan with a personalized badge.

7FS45NH.png

11 hours ago, Ackoli said:

I wonder if you could get to duna via refuelling on asteroids on the way

Do you mean capture an asteroid and use it as the fuel tank to get to extend the shuttle's range to Duna?  Given the right asteroid I would think it's absolutely possibly to top up the tanks on the way to Duna, but not a class A lol.  That had about 3 units of LF.

11 hours ago, Evanitis said:

By the way, since it took like 4 clicks, I though I could honor the memory of the heroic Patcan with a personalized badge.

You absolute legend!  I will wear this one with pride on my signature thanks very much indeed!  Patcan's memory is preserved for future generations.

11 hours ago, Ackoli said:

they should do this in real life!

You go I'll watch lol.

SM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.