Sol 0 - Mars Colonization RTS game

RainDreamer

Well, you can grab a demo and see if you like it.

I tried it out a bit and it is quite interesting. It's easy right now, since you are basically running a mars colonization program with unlimited funding and no pressure for result at the moment. You get a launch every 120 sol, and on each launch you get a limited amount of payload you can put on, which you must choose carefully. There are rovers to scan the area for resource and do SCIENCE!! , which should be on first launch so they can discover resources before your colonizations. Then there are life support supplies such as food or water if your following launches include astronauts, and building supply so the astronauts can start building things. Eventually you can launch colonists and other more advanced things like satellites to support your new colony.

It has quite a lot of potential. Lets see how it will go.

The problem is time on my end, not availability. And I had great fun with early-access games before, but I generally prefer to wait for the full release.

Though what I'm most interested in is that how it compares to Planetbase - that was also EA the last time I checked it, but now it has a full release. It looks really similar. It mainly received criticism about it's colonist AI and a general lack of stuff to do once a base is established.

Sol 0 looks less pretty - but that's appealing for me, as it suggests they plan to captivate players by interesting mechanics and such instead of visuals. Though I guess I'll pick both once I find much time on my end - unless by that time critics will agree if one of these titles is superior beyond doubt.

This looks good! There's just a few things that bother me in the promotion video: Dragon-esque lander has the plume coming out of the center and there is no launch abort system on the capsule, it's just a flat and bare top of it. Other than that it looks great and I probably will get it, it's only $5.09 USD right now, and $6 USD full price.

the demo doesn't seem to want to install. after extracting the RAR file, the executable errors and tells me it wants to see the "Sol 0_Data" folder next to the exe file. while it isn't "next to it", it is in the same directory. anybody else run into this issue? trying to install the windows version on 10.

I got mine working and have enjoyed it thoroughly! There's very little direction in the game play beyond the basic tutorial (like what does upgrading the geology lab do or the mechanism behind genetically modifying plant strains).

The astronauts tend to fail at cleaning the solar panels unless I direct them to do it. Even when they wander over there on automation, they just stand in front of the dirty panel.

Nuclear reactors are a bit risky. They run fine if you have enough resources but I had 3 of them running at full capacity and a meteor storm took my population from 50 to 30 and they could no longer support the operations. Nuclear meltdown destroyed half of my base within about 30 seconds....

Definitely worth the $5.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.