Missing segment of orbital trajectory

I've just recently had a problem where I can't see my orbital path after a fly-by encounter of a body I am not currently in orbit around. This happens for both projected orbital paths with maneuvers, and current orbital paths as shown in the images below.

Both should show my trajectory beyond my encounter with the Mun, but... it's inexplicably missing. :(

Has this happened to anyone before? Fix?

t6jc2Dx1aq6tUh_51C_6hdULBQ1eScYm2dHNh2ck2KrWOLQTd7-tzbcGMfocKeUKgCRA8cfit-huFi4A

Looks like the "conic patch limit" is too low for you, which is the number of separate conic patches that will be displayed. You can turn up this number manually by editing settings.cfg and changing "CONIC_PATCH_LIMIT = 3" to "CONIC_PATCH_LIMIT = 6" or similar. There are also mods like PreciseNode which let you change them on the fly in game.

What RIC said.

But just be aware that raising your conic patch limit is ONLY advantageous in fly-by situations.  If you're in a closed orbit, the extra conic patches are drawn on top of each other and your current orbit, making it extremely difficult to place maneuver nodes.  This is why the conic patch limit defaults to 3, to avoid this problem.

Therefore, if you do raise your limit, it's a good idea to put it back at 3 once you've used the extra patches for your flyby.  Thus, it's best to use one of the mods RIC mentioned, which allow adjusting the limit from within the game.  Without such a mod, you have to exit the game and edit your config file to change the limit.

Well that's good to know, I'll keep note of that in the future.

Interestingly enough though, this happens randomly during gameplay. Almost as if the value spontaneously changed during flight (dropping from 3, to 2, sometimes only 1). That sort of thing made me think it might be a graphics bug, or a conflict with hardware/drivers.

Next time i see it happen, I'll check out the value for conic paths in the cfg, see if it actually is changing, or if it's some sort of glitch.

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.