BO posted a Notam for today/tomorrow

tater

And here's the slick video:

https://www.blueorigin.com/news#youtube74tyedGkoUc

Pretty cool stuff.  Suicide burn into a low altitude hover followed by a gentle touchdown.

Maybe they'll be able to reduce the turn around time to under 2 months next time* ;)

*(I'm sure they spent a lot of time inspecting the vehicle and making sure it could fly again)

I'm not a very big fan of Jeff Bezos, but this one-upsmanship is probably going to be really good for spaceflight.

2 hours ago, fredinno said:

I would recommend you replace "bo" with Blue Origin, to make people less confused.

You mean my Ex's body odor isn't causing causing flights to be diverted? Darn.

6 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

Congrats to Blue Origin. They beat SpaceX again.

Bob Clark

Without getting into the foodfight (but they should really stop claiming firsts they have no right to), this IS a pretty awesome achievement.

Then again, due to the lack of communication form BO (they tell less than SpaceX, and that's quite something), we still don't really know how much of an accomplishment it really is. How much work did the rocket need? Two months of turnaround for a prototype seems awfully short (which is good), but since he didn't even even tweet a "the rocket is looking really good, will do it soon without much refurbish", they technically had time to rebuild the whole freaking thing, if they were hauling ass about it.

That said, the BE-3 is a respectable little engine. It's really hard to get such deep throttling and reliability numbers... now if only they released TWR and Isp figures to know just how good it is!

Rune. Again, I would like to hear Burt Rutan's comments on the captions. ;)

6 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

Bob Clark

That's not really beating anybody Clark. They are in completely different leagues of stage recovery- F9 needs to expend a lot more energy before returning.

6 minutes ago, Rune said:

Without getting into the foodfight (but they should really stop claiming firsts they have no right to), this IS a pretty awesome achievement.

Then again, due to the lack of communication form BO (they tell less than SpaceX, and that's quite something), we still don't really know how much of an accomplishment it really is. How much work did the rocket need? Two months of turnaround for a prototype seems awfully short (which is good), but since he didn't even even tweet a "the rocket is looking really good, will do it soon without much refurbish", they technically had time to rebuild the whole freaking thing, if they were hauling ass about it.

That said, the BE-3 is a respectable little engine. It's really hard to get such deep throttling and reliability numbers... now if only they released TWR and Isp figures to know just how good it is!

Rune. Again, I would like to hear Burt Rutan's comments on the captions. ;)

How is a surface engine able to be used as an upper stage? I'm pretty sure it would need mods, but Vulcan proposed it for use in ACES. :confused:

15 minutes ago, fredinno said:

How is a surface engine able to be used as an upper stage? I'm pretty sure it would need mods, but Vulcan proposed it for use in ACES. :confused:

I am not a rocket scientist and especially not an engine expert but from what i understand every engine has the capabilities to be a booster and a vacuum engine it mostly depends on the expansion rate and bells the engine has- take a look at the merlin 1D Vac 

9 minutes ago, fredinno said:

It's actually pretty simple, really. You can run any engine in vacuum without modifications, with only a slight decrease in performance, because the ambient pressure is only really important for nozzle efficiency, every other pressure in the whole rocket is self-regulated. You would need a good tank design to prevent sloshing, of course, and a settling system to relight (the ignitor I imagine they already have covered ;)), but really, the only thing you would really change in the engine is adding an nozzle skirt extension to improve your expansion ratio, increasing Isp and thrust from those at sea level. Which is why BE-3 is supposed to give >600kN in vacuum.

Rune. It's the other way around that gives problems, an overexpanded plume, because it stops hugging the engine bell before it exits.

33 minutes ago, Rune said:

Two months of turnaround for a prototype seems awfully short (which is good), but since he didn't even even tweet a "the rocket is looking really good, will do it soon without much refurbish", they technically had time to rebuild the whole freaking thing, if they were hauling ass about it.

OTOH, for reference, DC-XA demonstrated a 26 hour turnaround. It did a turnaround of 21 days after being damaged by overheating during a slow landing.

Interestingly enough, the Wikipedia page for DC-X claims that several DC-X engineers now work at Blue Origin.

This flight is awesome news. It means Blue Origin is on track for perhaps even starting to service customers later this year (though they would be customers for unmanned science payloads, AKA oversized sounding rocket / parabolic flight stuff).

I can't wait until we finally get a space tourism company flying people, too... Blue Origin might yet beat both Virgin Galactic and XCOR to the punch. And the sooner someone starts, the sooner it becomes normal, and the sooner the price drops... which will eventually bring it within my reach. 'Cause I wanna go and fly :)

8 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

Bob Clark

They've never beaten SpaceX. Blue Origin rocket goes up and down. Falcon 9 first stage pushes second stage+cargo into suborbital flight with a substantial downrange distance. Going into an arch means you need to considerably negate that arch and then do a precision landing on one spot (barge, etc.).

Blue Origin just goes up and down. Trivial, compared to SpaceX, not even worth mentioning.

1 minute ago, lajoswinkler said:

They've never beaten SpaceX. Blue Origin rocket goes up and down. Falcon 9 first stage pushes second stage+cargo into suborbital flight with a substantial downrange distance. Going into an arch means you need to considerably negate that arch and then do a precision landing on one spot (barge, etc.).

Blue Origin just goes up and down. Trivial, compared to SpaceX, not even worth mentioning.

Not to mention they are fundamentally different vehicles. The Falcon 9 is several times as big, and can't hover.

10 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

This is a pretty disingenuous position to take. Blue isn't just some suborbital vehicle company, and this is not the end goal; it's the next step in the iterative chain of Charon->Goddard->PM-2, and just happens to be one they think they can make some money with. We know the next step is orbit, and by then Blue will have the kind of extensive experience with vehicle refurbishment and general reusable vehicle operations that would take years to get with the SpaceX approach. The result will be a vehicle designed from the start for VTVL reusability, not a jury-rigged one.

Edited by Kryten

34 minutes ago, SargeRho said:

The Falcon 9 is several times as big, and can't hover.

Technically it can hover even at launch, the new merlin 1D+ engines are throttleable down to 55%.  hovering isnt a big deal landing is much more demanding and the way spaceX does it makes it much harder with a lot more points of failure, i am also sure that the single merlin on the F9v1.2 can throttle deep enough to make it hover(it'd be way more risky to not have this capability, if you can you probably want to maintain speed at the last couple dozen meters) i just dont see why they'd want to do it. 

Edited by EladDv

15 minutes ago, EladDv said:

Technically it can hover even at launch, the new merlin 1D+ engines are throttleable down to 55%.  hovering isnt a big deal landing is much more demanding and the way spaceX does it makes it much harder with a lot more points of failure, i am also sure that the single merlin on the F9v1.2 can throttle deep enough to make it hover(it'd be way more risky to not have this capability, if you can you probably want to maintain speed at the last couple dozen meters) i just dont see why they'd want to do it. 

The min thrust of a single Merlin engine is greater than the weight of an almost empty Falcon 9 first stage. On the way down they can't hover to readjust at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.