How can I display my rockets?

ToukieToucan

So I wanted to give my first satellite and my first Mün lander an honorful display, my plan was to park them next to the astronaut complex/ research building. How do I get the rockets there though?

also, should I only display the final stage or the whole rocket?

You could try loading the rocket up in the SPH (I assume it's a VAB craft), then you can put it horizontally (or at a sight angle) and build a stand to hold it, then put some (probably lots) of wheels on the stand (put them on a section that you can decouple) and then (very carefully) roll it over to where you want it, decouple the wheels (and recover them) and take screenshots! 

Edited by katateochi

The Jebediah Kerman Way: just launch it as normal from the pad, but with just enough fuel to get it up 1000m, and add some clipped parachutes. Point up and float back down in whatever angle needed to make it come down vertically at the spot you want it displayed.

(or be boring and practical and follow the other advice given :sticktongue:)

26 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I saw someone's pictures on here where they'd stored loads of craft in the hanger at the island airfield, I guess that would remove lag issues at the KSC and present an interesting challenge in getting them there.

Add a couple of large, filled ore tanks to the wheels subassembly to combat any buoyancy of the craft, and most large craft should be safe (realllly slow, but safe) to drive there over the bottom of the ocean. Might even get some pretty pics out of the trip.

4 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The Jebediah Kerman Way: just launch it as normal from the pad, but with just enough fuel to get it up 1000m, and add some clipped parachutes. Point up and float back down in whatever angle needed to make it come down vertically at the spot you want it displayed.

(or be boring and practical and follow the other advice given :sticktongue:)

That is totally how I did it so far ! :D

If you are using the suggested wheel method.

Be sure to empty all fuel tanks. Saves you a lot of weight.

Also, remove any non-essential parts. Batteries, small antenna's, science stuff. Empty cargo bays and so on. If you want to limit future lag, remove anything that isn't a significant visual part of your display.

Rolling a rocket around works... approximately: tried to move my RSS lunar rocket around to display it, after removing non visible parts (from 169 to 45 parts!) and emptying fuel tanks (from 2200t to 150t):

Felt like Fitzcarraldo for a time... with less boat and hill, and more rocket and runway ;)

Edited by Gaarst

You could strip it down a bit if lag is a concern. Like others have said, attack wheels, park it, and then decouple the wheels (optional), and remove the debris in the tracking station. I used to park my planes near the astronaut complex, but you could be a bit cheaty and use hyperedit: it's only cosmetic!

7 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Felt like Fitzcarraldo for a time... 

Someone else has actually seen that?! 

The only thing crazier than a movie about a guy dragging a boat over a mountain was the making of that movie . . . in which the director actually drags a boat over a mountain.

but, on topic: spam rcs/vernors and hack gravity?

or try the VesselMover mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.