RO

Kerbonaut.Bacon

Falcon 9 is not intended to land in human control. It's minimum thrust is much more than weight. You can not hover with it and land slowly. You have to use position information as feedback and adjust whole burn so that velocity is zero at landing pad.

On 1/27/2016 at 2:40 AM, Hannu2 said:

Falcon 9 is not intended to land in human control. It's minimum thrust is much more than weight. You can not hover with it and land slowly. You have to use position information as feedback and adjust whole burn so that velocity is zero at landing pad.

I once worked out from scratch the equations to calculate exactly where (in terms of altitude) to start a suicide burn so I'd come to a stop precisely upon reaching altitude zero.

I tried it out on Mun. I started my descent from munar orbit, ran the calculations, watched the altimeter like a hawk, hit Full Throttle at the critical moment... and watched in horror as my lander hit the ground at a ludicrously high speed and exploded.

It was then that I suddenly realized that "altitude zero" did not mean "ground level."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.