Merging saved ships

I am trying to build some modular rocket designs, but I am having issues with snapping the modules together for final assembly. I will have the pieces all ready to put together, but they won't snap to the stack at all. Otherwise I don't see any issues with  the design, as I can continue to add single pieces to the stack, but when it comes to adding an entire section it just doesn't want to attach very often. (Iv'e only got it to work a couple times out of many tries)

is there anything I should be doing that I am missing? thanks

sounds like you may not have the right part as the root part on the piece that you are trying to attach.

re-rooting that part may help.

with the part selected click on re root and then a part of the piece and then the piece you want as the root part.

steuben is quite right.

Just to be completely clear: merged crafts can only be attached to the current craft by their root part. So if your merged craft has its root part already with all its nodes connected to something, you will be unable to attach it at all.

13 minutes ago, mattssheep4 said:

I wonder if that's something that could be changed eventually. Sure would be nice to not have to worry about root parts as much.

Not likely; it's a fundamental part of both the data structure of the craft and the UI. Consider this: you click on a part in the middle of your ship. If there's no 'root part', how does the game know whether you want to grab everything above or everything below that part? The only real way around that would be to take only that part, and that seems like a logical nightmare, not to mention very user-unfriendly. 

Frankly, I'm impressed that they managed to implement the re-centering of the root part. That's not an easy algorithm.

I've got enough coding experience to understand the importance of the root part; I was wondering if they could make all nodes available before merging to be attachable afterwards as well. Seems like that might even be easier than changing the root part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.