View Cube

Hi ! 

I`ve got an idea ! Could you add a View Cube to the SPH/VAB ? I got this idea while working in Autodesk Inventor. It shouldn`t be hard to do, and it would make building vehicles, especially aligining wheels a lot easier ! 

Just one click, and your view is perfectly aligned ! 

image_221.png

8 minutes ago, Angorek said:

Hi ! 

I`ve got an idea ! Could you add a View Cube to the SPH/VAB ? I got this idea while working in Autodesk Inventor. It shouldn`t be hard to do, and it would make building vehicles, especially aligining wheels a lot easier ! 

Just one click, and your view is perfectly aligned ! 

image_221.png

While I recognize that what you're looking for is not currently in the stock game, something just as good is in the SPH, and a slightly weaker system is in the VAB. In the SPH, you can hold down shift and then use the arrow keys to move the camera around, in addition to the rotation functionality. 

No it`s not. You can move the view, that`s correct, but viewcube rotates the view. So you can look at your vehicle perfectly from top, bottom, front, back etc. 

BTW you can also use Shift+mouse to move around. 

You can rotate and move the view, but in different ways in the two editors. It's annoying.

Is the view cube patented or something? Blender and Unity don't have it. Unity has a different thing that's sorta-kinda like a view cube.

While we're talking about stealing borrowing UI from the Autodesk universe, having the 'f' key reframe the view onto the part you've got the widgets on (or the one you're hovering over, or the entire spacecraft) would be nice as well.

Both inventor and solidworks are owned by Autodesk I believe.

I would like more of the keybinds to be reflected in the GUI in some ways. Stuff like trim, the VAB camera and view tools, symmetry mode, rotation tool mode, and disable node attach. Are a few of the more esoteric VAB stuff that should be reflected in GUI elements. This would require some pretty nifty GUI element "buckets" to be designed though. But it would make the game much easier for newbies, and people with accessibility issues (bonus points for colorblind compliance.)

Having Symmetry/Snapping, Placement Orientation, and Camera GUI buckets also is a very good place to put tooltips that denote the keyboard shortcuts for each function.

Edited by KrazyKrl
typering r gud when i dun bad :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.