My first mun capable ship, plus a lil more.

Hello everyone, after just purchasing and downloading this amazing game I took a few hours out of the last few days to tinker with my first mun capable attempt in a sort of apollo style approach. I have been working my way up learning how most of the parts interact and behave and have come up with this:

screenshot1.png.

However unfortunately I have yet to make it to the mun yet, I have orbited past it, and minimus before orbiting back past them again before my fuel ran short. I have the capabilites of making it to the mun just not the experience of plotting the course.

And a few action shots where I forget to turn on the sas as I lift off and it erupts into a lovely fireball.

screenshot2.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

Mun orbits counter-clockwise. Try and aim a quarter-turn ahead of where it is at the moment to have a better chance of contacting it.

You can get there with much, much, much less fuel, but I\'m sure you\'ll tune it better with practice.

I have started glancing at some of the ships in the repository and it seems I have gone a bit overboard with the fuel. I find it slightly funny that I did not run into a ship more efficient in my smaller trial runs. :o. But I do like my rocket, it just feels epic when all of those rockets ignite and fall away.

I have started glancing at some of the ships in the repository and it seems I have gone a bit overboard with the fuel. I find it slightly funny that I did not run into a ship more efficient in my smaller trial runs. :o. But I do like my rocket, it just feels epic when all of those rockets ignite and fall away.

Look for a sweet spot in number of engines vs number of fuel tanks. Your engines do low force for a long time -- i.e. most of your fuel is wasted barely hovering in place. You want higher force, for a shorter time -- so increase the number of engines without increasing the amount of fuel.

My rocket does sit on the pad for a long time, but those turbo jet engines do get me into the upper atmosphere on just the one tank they all have apiece. On another note, I have been working on a spacefighter:

screenshot7.png

screenshot8.png

screenshot12.png

screenshot14.png

However unfortunately it is not very stable:

screenshot15.png

It seems the spaceboosters nick the ground on take off causing a chain reaction that causes the nose to dip down taking out the cockpit, yet somehow perserving the ship. I don\'t know if it is see able in the picture but in game I watched as the plane boosted off wildly into the bright blue sky.

Spaceplanes are hard :D None of mine really work either.

Try to get all your engines in a line. You have some engines pushing from above, trying to make it tilt down, and some pushing from below, trying to make it tilt up, which is a tricky kind of balance. If they\'re all pushing from the middle it doesn\'t matter.

The ones strapped to the underbelly are dead weight, they don\'t fire until stage two, after which they as a bonus decouple! However the added weight makes me wonder if it can fly, the test version doesn\'t have the liquid engines nor their added weight of fuel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.