How to Use Mk1 crew cabin without blocking hatch?

I want to make a really light 2 person rescue rocket, and I'm thinking a probe core and crew cabin would work great. Unfortunately, the attachment node blocks the hatch. What are the best ways around this? 

Maybe use side parachutes and leave the crew cabin as the top most part with a decoupler to maximize aerodynamics. 

Or maybe forget the streamline shape and rotate the crew cabin so the hatch is free?

:) Funny this should come up as a question. 

A few possible solutions to this.

Neat but is a little draggy...

zf10sC0.jpg

Keep the bottom clear, just needs some ladders...

xIJ7xrh.jpg

Some creative use of the rotate and offset tools...

W99GgXm.jpg   ihze0Oq.jpg

Or detach a nosecone once clear of the atmosphere...

Ut9NYoB.jpg

(or ask Squad to add a side door to the mk1 crew cabin so we don't need this silliness :P)

Edited by Foxster

I previously put the cabin crew module right at the top of my rocket, followed by computer, then fuel and engine. I lifted to orbit, collected one stranded Kerbal in orbit halfway to Mun, then went into Muner orbit to collect another. It was very early in career mode, but I think I turned a very tidy profit from the mission. I landed it with 2 radial parachutes (or maybe 3, I can't remember!)

If you have the 1-man lander can, I'd suggest using two of those instead, since almost any  solution (other than detachable nosecone) is going to add a ton of drag. If you don't, the detachable nosecone sounds like the best option.

For @peewee69 concerning parachutes - I've found that the radial ones can each safely land slightly more than 2 tons on Kerbin. I've even managed, just the other day, to land about 7 tons on two parachutes (Mk1-2 cabin, half-ablated heatshield, empty FL-T200+T100 tanks, 2 Twitches, Mk1 lander can, Klaw, crew cabin and sundry items). It took a bit of jostling to get it hanging sideways and therefore draggily for as long as possible, and the joints between some parts looked out-of-kilter after touchdown, but nothing broke and it was in one piece.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.