Info from the 1.1 Beta Testers

bewing

18 hours ago, regex said:

apparently the devs would prefer you spend more on hardware

Yeah, I did buy a GTX-960 specifically for KSP, and went thru the pain of installing beta nvidia drivers on Debian before they became part of non-free. (actually I bought a GTX-750 Ti, then my watercooling leaked on it - oops)

18 hours ago, bewing said:

They are fragile. You have to practice being gentle. Suspension disable is not currently working on those wheels. Don't steer while you are going more than 20 m/s. Turn on your capslock to enable "soft steering mode".

Don't use the L1 runway, use the grass instead. You can use the grass on the side of the runway -- it is perfectly flat. The KSC grass is a little bumpier than it used to be.

You need to play with the friction control settings. "Auto" lets the steering system apply brakes to prevent sliding. Switching to manual is often wise. Reducing the friction on the wheels to very low values is often also wise. New version = do lots of experimenting! :D

Just to add to this and I'm surprised it isn't mentioned more - parachutes make excellent airbrakes just before touching down. I manage early tech plane landings on the grass pretty reliably by popping drag chutes two or three seconds before touchdown.

Edited by AlphaAsh

10 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Are you entirely sure about that underlined part?

In my bug report about a Klaw oddity (visual reversal of the 'grippers'), I used two identical rover-like craft to reproduce the problem with independently launched craft. When I backed up one rover to the other, mashing both their armed Klaws together, they both become grabbed on (both show a 'Release' button, and both have to be released for the rovers to come apart again).

To me, that suggests that both Klaws are in fact active, not just the one on the focused rover.

wUqFYtR.png

t42sWni.png

This is so deliciously Kerbal.

Going through the entire thread is definitely a big help in being prepared for new behaviors.  Especially treating the Mk 1 landing gears with gentleness and love.

This also makes me think someone needs to send a counselor over to Danny2462's house asap, as I am pretty sure that Klaw Kraken fix just destroyed his planet buster. 

59 minutes ago, samstarman5 said:

This also makes me think someone needs to send a counselor over to Danny2462's house asap, as I am pretty sure that Klaw Kraken fix just destroyed his planet buster. 

Oh, it definitely did. But it's worse than that. His other planet buster (the lance) doesn't work anymore either -- I tested it.

Edited by bewing

10 hours ago, bewing said:

Jets are much more stable now. It's a lot harder to lose control and go into a flat spin or other assorted nastiness.

I wonder if this has to do with the symmetry fixes. I recall some posts here saying that symmetry placed wings juuuusst a little off sometimes

Alright, my research on low-tech landing gear and ultralights aircrafts has been successful, claiming the lives of only 5 kerbals. :D

With this design, I'm able to takeoff and land safely on Level 1 (aka "the construction site") runway (well, losing a wing and stopping on the roof from time to time isn't a drama, its very Kerbal :wink:) :

QahSs3f.jpg?1

The tank behind the cockpit is only there for structural reasons and is empty, of course. Fuel is directly stored in the "engine nacelle" (doesn't allows to fly very far away, but fine for the first "below 18,000 meters" survey missions. But the nosewheel steering is really extremely sensitive. Well its possible to define the sensitiveness of the steering axis in the settings...

Edited by N_Molson

This is my version. 3.6 tons -- the fuel tank is half full. I never use that silly runway. I always turn north or south and use the grass.

basic_jet.png

The girders can be replaced with a couple SciJrs, or another empty fuel tank.

Edited by bewing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.