How to see how much intake air you have

Fireheart318

WARNING! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY DO TO YOUR GAME HERE! THIS REQUIRES SOME EXTREMELY LIGHT MODIFICATION TO THE CONFIG FILES OF KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM! THEY SHOULDN'T DAMAGE ANYTHING BUT JUST IN CASE!

Step 1: Open the GameData folder and from there, open Squad

Step 2: Open resources and from there, open ResourcesGeneric.cfg

Step 3: Locate 'name = IntakeAir'

Step 4: To make visible change the modifier for 'isVisible' to 'true'. To make tweakable (able to change amounts in VAB/SPH) change the modifier for 'isTweakable' to 'true' THESE VALUES ARE ALL CASE-SENSITIVE! IF YOU DON'T DO IT EXACTLY, IT PROBABLY WON'T WORK!

This is a valuable tool for being able to see when you run out of air for SSTOs and figure out why your VTOLs aren't working and how many intakes you need to fix it. It's just a generally good thing to have in the game and I don't know why Squad changed it. That's all I've got to say here so Fireheart318 out!

It's a poor tool for that, which is why it was hidden. It's very sensitive to part placement order, try this little experiment: Build a single fuselage plane with a single intake in front and single jet engine at rear. Place the intake before the engine, then fly and observe the readout. Go back to the SPH, remove both, and then place the engine before the intake and repeat. Observe that the readout gives very different readings even though performance is identical.

You're much better off using the propellant requirement percentage visible in the right click menu for the engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.