Docking view without mods

When I try a docking, in 'map mode view', I mean, I saw the two spacecraft in space and I click in the button at left-botton (there are the botton, one for stage view, other one for map view and other one for dock view), it spand a square that is similar to a 'target'... do you understand me? I hope I am able to explain...

Ok, so... I find that square ussless, because it don't help me for anything.... so, What is the sense of that? or, How does that square work? How can I get help for that tool?

I mean this: Docking_lin.png

Edited by Lopez de la Osa

The only use for "docking mode" is to change the key inputs so that WASD applies translation (sideways movement) rather than rotation, and shift/ctrl move you forwards and back.

I personally avoid it. Those same translation motions are already available using IJKL and H/N. It seems to be to be a very bad idea to train yourself to do two completely different things with the same fingers on the same keys. So I never use docking mode.

It's a shame because it isn't a bad idea in itself, and it does have the advantage of preventing you from firing your main engines by accident.

At least, I think it does...

I agree. I would totally use docking mode if there was a docking camera that shows the approach from the docking port and you can adjust angles and speed and directions from that but the way it is now its just not practical, i just use IJKLHN as Plusck said. No annoying switching required, you have all controls at your hands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.