Contract to take 5 seismic readings on Minmus.

I have never had any luck doing any more than 1 science "project" at a time. In other words, once a piece of Science equipment is used, I cannot use it again. I have heard/read that an engineer or scientist can reset an experiment (which I have not tried yet)...but I've also run into a problem with 2 kerbals doing the same science gathering (say, an EVA report) but not being able to keep both reports when re-boarding the ship (something about "not enough data storage"...). How do I get 5 different seismic reading, on one trip to Minmus?

As ever, Vic the Newbal thanks you profusely!

There's actually two (kinda three) questions here, so I'll answer them separately.

1. Specific to your situation, you do not actually have to keep the data to get contract credit, just running the experiment is enough. The instant you click the button, you'll get the credit message.

2. To store data from one experiment (i.e. seismic package) and use it multiple times, just have any kerbal EVA and stand (or climb) near it. Then right-click and retrieve data. This works with any experiment except the goo and the materials experiment. For those two, any kerbal can retrieve the data, but only a scientist can restore it so it can be used again.

3. Regarding generally running multiple experiments, in your example with the kerbals, they're running the same experiment, but a single crew compartment can only hold one copy of each unique piece of data. For the seismic readings, this would become an issue if more than one of the locations was in the same biome, but if they were in different biomes, you could store all of them. If you want to bring home multiple copies of the same experiment, you need multiple parts that can store it.

Edited by Jarin

2 hours ago, Jarin said:

There's actually two (kinda three) questions here, so I'll answer them separately.

1. Specific to your situation, you do not actually have to keep the data to get contract credit, just running the experiment is enough. The instant you click the button, you'll get the credit message.

2. To store data from one experiment (i.e. seismic package) and use it multiple times, just have any kerbal EVA and stand (or climb) near it. Then right-click and retrieve data. This works with any experiment except the goo and the materials experiment. For those two, any kerbal can retrieve the data, but only a scientist can restore it so it can be used again.

3. Regarding generally running multiple experiments, in your example with the kerbals, they're running the same experiment, but a single crew compartment can only hold one copy of each unique piece of data. For the seismic readings, this would become an issue if more than one of the locations was in the same biome, but if they were in different biomes, you could store all of them. If you want to bring home multiple copies of the same experiment, you need multiple parts that can store it.

Thank you Jarin.

Can you elaborate on "you need multiple parts that can store it". What parts can store science data?

Edited by strider3

Each and every "pod" can store one unique copy of an experiment. Command pods, cockpits, hitchhiker cans, capsules, or crew modules. You have to touch it, and then its context menu will have a "store experiments" button on it. It will only try to store as many as it can, and will leave all the rest with the kerbonaut. The external command seat is one exception. It does not store experiments at all, and leaves all of them in the kerbonaut's lap. The other exception is the MPL -- you can store an infinite number of copies of an infinite number of experiments in that.

Edited by bewing

11 hours ago, Jarin said:

This does not hold true for crew reports, though. A command pod can only hold one crew report at any given time, so if you want to do a second crew report, you need to transmit the first one or use a different command pod.

It does sound a bit counter-intuitive but I always imagine that the Space Program was short on paper and just used a chalkboard on the pod wall to write down crew reports, which can only be re-used if it was erased. :wink:

1 hour ago, Stoney3K said:

This does not hold true for crew reports, though. A command pod can only hold one crew report at any given time, so if you want to do a second crew report, you need to transmit the first one or use a different command pod.

It does sound a bit counter-intuitive but I always imagine that the Space Program was short on paper and just used a chalkboard on the pod wall to write down crew reports, which can only be re-used if it was erased. :wink:

You can hold multiple crew reports in a pod but you need to send a Kerbal out on EVA, remove the data from the pod (this will include the crew report) and then store it in the pod again. The crew report button should then be reset to allow another report. In practice though, as long as you have an antenna and electric charge there's no advantage to bringing them back relative to transmitting the data but it's useful to remember for the times you forget to add an antenna.

1 hour ago, Stoney3K said:

This is not correct. What you need to do is  EVA and "take data", just like you do to collect the other experiments. When you place the data back in the pod through the RMB menu or by entering the pod, it goes to some sort of "storage," freeing the "active" crew report space for a fresh report.

That said, this mechanic is reeeally clunky. The whole science storage and transfer system could use a revamp under the hood to smooth out the rough edges.

For contracts, you can always do the experiment, then throw it away immediately. The contract system only logs your action of experiment, and does not require you to return/transmit that particular piece of experiment.

You can also send a small landing probe with antenna an transmit the seismic data at each location. The probe will be very small. I used one of those on Mun (less than 900kg for 7000m/s). But of course, if you want to max science return, you have to send a manned vehicle there;

On 29.6.2016 at 0:50 AM, Victor3 said:

I have never had any luck doing any more than 1 science "project" at a time. In other words, once a piece of Science equipment is used, I cannot use it again

unless that was changed in the 1.3 patch (didn't play that yet) - this limitation is actually only true for the science jr. material lab and the mystery goo container. the other experiments (thermometer, baromether, seismic thingy etc.) don't require a reset.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:33 AM, Reactordrone said:

.....there's no advantage to bringing them back relative to transmitting the data but it's useful to remember for the times you forget to add an antenna.

But transmitting data does not result in as much science points as returning the data to Kerbin?

Correct. You are always limited in the number of experiments that you can return (with a scientist collecting samples), so transmitting one extra copy of everything can give you a few more total points. If all you do is land a probe and transmit, then you end up with quite a bit less.

3 hours ago, Victor3 said:

But transmitting data does not result in as much science points as returning the data to Kerbin?

EVA reports and crew reports have a 100% transmission rate so there's no difference with them. Other experiments only give a partial rate on transmission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.