[LANDING ON THE SUN] - This is mostly directed to trydyingtolive -

I don\'t understand. What exactly do you want us to do? Achieve low kerbal orbit and then burn to 0 speed? I\'m pretty sure this is impossible with stock. With the lowest possible kerbol periapsis and kerbin apoapsis your periapsis speed is over 100,000m/s, and I don\'t think you can get a ship with 100,000m/s of delta V to that orbit. Or even make it on the pad.

I had a stab at this the other day. It works out that the sun\'s surface gravity is about 27g. That\'s a lot. Plus you have to spend about 150,000 m/sec delta vee. So you\'ll need to do some hectic .cfg editing.

The altimeter is wrong -- the sun\'s surface is approximately 4700 km above where the game says it is.

So, if you want to land on the sun you need an engine that is powerful enough to counteract 27g. And you need thrust vectoring if you want to stay upright; however, thrust vectoring at this insane thrust level tends to tip you over pretty fast. SAS can\'t cope. MechJeb does its best, but unfortunately this environment is just too tough for it.

I gave up. Might still be possible, but it\'s really really hard.

BTW, the sun does not burn you. This should be possible if you have a lot of patience. To mitigate the thrust vectoring falling-over issue, I\'d suggest that you have a lot of mass. Which means more thrust, but that\'s ok because we\'re editing .cfg files for this, right? :)

I have tried this aswell, I just cfg edited the BFE-5000 to be thrust vectoring and not overheat every time and then copied the fueltanks cfg and made an infinite fueltank.

It worked really well, but getting closer to the sun caused some strange issues. I couldn\'t keep proper track of where im heading.

The yellow markers that show where you are heading and the opposite started flipping around while my speed was steadily above 1000m/s and the verical speed-o-meter showed that I never started going up so I dunno whats going on there.

BTW, the sun does not burn you. This should be possible if you have a lot of patience. To mitigate the thrust vectoring falling-over issue, I\'d suggest that you have a lot of mass. Which means more thrust, but that\'s ok because we\'re editing .cfg files for this, right? :)

Acually, it technically does. If you look at persistence files the parts all have a temperature recorded. They are higher near the sun.

I noticed this first while doing very close kerbol flybys and noticed that my engine was overheating more rapidly then when in deep space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.