Duna Regatta: First Interplanetary Journey for DeltaG

jedensuscg

o1c1uFI.png

Hello and welcome!  After 450+ total hours in KSP, Delta Galactic CSA has finally decided to take the leap out of the Kerbin SOI.  My next stop, Duna.  I am also going big with this one. No unmanned probe on a fly by, no manned orbit, science and return. Nope I am doing as much as I feel comfortable doing...then tacking on some more!  I am also doing this early career, with only the first upgrade to the R&D center...and only one node unlocked in that area. 

First the obligatory addon mentions:

MAJOR ADDONS

Spoiler

FAR

DM Orbital Science

Near Future Electrical

MechJeb

KIS

the whole USI MKS/OSI suit

USI Life Support

RPM

KAS

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Amp Year

[x]Science

Stage Recovery

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Throttle Controlled Avionics

Associated dependencies and smaller addons.

And the Mission Goals:

• Fly at least four Kerbals to Dune SOI. Two Pilots, one Engineer and one Scientist.
  • Enter Duna Orbit
  • Complete the MINIMUM science of RPWS and Gravimetric scans required for the contract. Complete as much other science as possible.
  • Provide a lander capable to landing on Duna with 1 Kerbal, and returning to mothership.
  • Deposit a mannable (but will be automated for now) communication sattelite in high orbit around Duna (for Remote Tech support)
  • Transfer to Ike
  • Land on Ike.

With this in mind my vessel must include

• enough Delta V to fly to Duna, provide fuel support for one lander,
  • a self sustaining Comsat with long range and local communication capabilities
  • a Duna capable landing craft with science.
  • Life Support supplies for no less then 2000 days.

I have decided my vessel will be assembles in Orbit and will be consists of a Drive and Power Section with all fuel, engines and batteries.  A central docking section to allow the landers, probes and other modular components to dock.  And a forward living and science section.  More items may be added during build.

Entry One: Launch of the Main Drive and Power Section(MDPS)

-Delta Galactic Public Relations

Edited by jedensuscg
Added Entry

Journal Entry One

Welcome back!  Today we bring you the first milestone in the legendary Duna Regatta Mission to ...Duna.

Delta Galactic has launched the first section of the Duna Regetta Long Duration Vessel.  The massive Main Drive and Power section was placed into orbit late last night and successfully docked with the freshly built Kodiak Station. 

After docking, Duna Regatta drained the station of it's fuel reserves, but remained hungry for more.  A refuel mission is planned to top off both the Regatta and Kodiak Station.

Design and building of the second section is underway at this time.

The Main Drive and Power Section (MDPS) contains 6 terrier engines for planetary transfer, a detachable skipper to assist with initial transfer burn near Kerbin, inflatable fuel containers along with structural fuel tanks, extra kerbal supplies, 2000 units of Main Batteries and 1400 units of Reserve Power (through AmpYear), and a detachable command pod for manned control and doubles as an escape pod.

16 minutes ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

if you've got recyclers from USI, use fertilizer instead of just supplies, MUCH less weight.  you also probably don't need 2K days worth, but its not a terrible idea.

Ya I need to look into some of the USI stuff. I think I have a smaller recycler. Thanks. The 2000 or more days is to provide time to wait for another transfer window, incase of oh craps (first time leaving Kerbin SOI.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.