To the Mun, Part 1

I'm having a real hard time with manuvers. 

I have made it to the moon, but my peri apsis was inside. So I adjusted my radial to have my periapsis at 50km above. I get to that location, point the ship at the cross hairs, and when I power up the engines. Nothing. 

I'm utterly confused how you perform a manuver when you can't perform a burn. I find the instructions to be very poor for someone trying to learn this from scratch. There should be some sort of guideline to show you the required orbit and you need to match it. Something, but instead you're left clueless until the "next" magically lights up

im incredibly frustrated if you can't tell. Been on this tutorial for 3 hours.  

Help?

Edited by Swacer

I take it from your previous posts you are playing on a console. I don't have much experience with KSP on the console, but I'll try to help a bit, although none of the following may work.

Did the throttle meter actually move? If no, then you aren't throttled up.

Are you out of fuel? If so, I can't help you there.

Can you control the ship at all? If no, then you might be time warping.

Do the engines have a green fuel bar next to them? If no, try activating them by right-click (or however you do that on console) or staging if they are in the next stage. If the fuel bar is all dark green, you may be out of fuel...

Also, there is a bit of a bug on console right now that you can lose control of a vessel sometimes. Also, the tutorial might have mistakenly locked the controls. I can't help with either of those last two, but maybe try quiclsaving then loading? Or reloading the game if it comes to that? As I said before, I don't play KSP on the console...

I hope I have helped, even though I may not have... The console version has been known to be a bit buggy, but sadly one must learn to deal with it (although if it is the loss of control bug, then it should be fixed soon).

8 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I take it from your previous posts you are playing on a console. I don't have much experience with KSP on the console, but I'll try to help a bit, although none of the following may work.

Did the throttle meter actually move? If no, then you aren't throttled up.

Are you out of fuel? If so, I can't help you there.

Can you control the ship at all? If no, then you might be time warping.

Do the engines have a green fuel bar next to them? If no, try activating them by right-click (or however you do that on console) or staging if they are in the next stage. If the fuel bar is all dark green, you may be out of fuel...

Also, there is a bit of a bug on console right now that you can lose control of a vessel sometimes. Also, the tutorial might have mistakenly locked the controls. I can't help with either of those last two, but maybe try quiclsaving then loading? Or reloading the game if it comes to that? As I said before, I don't play KSP on the console...

I hope I have helped, even though I may not have... The console version has been known to be a bit buggy, but sadly one must learn to deal with it (although if it is the loss of control bug, then it should be fixed soon).

Hello

i am on a PS4. This is a tutorial so I would assume that it would dictate fuel consumption. I do the initial burn toward the moon and it cits the engines when the timer ends. I delete my precious manuver so I can warp to the blue marker which then starts the enter moon orbit portion. I can move the throttle up and down no problem, the engines simply won't come on. I can easily turn the ship after I pick a manuver that makes sense to me. I know something isn't right because the "next" won't light up, but for the life of me, the instructions are so poor, I have no idea what is needed.

The bar on the right is bright green so I assume I have fuel and there was no instruction to drop a stage. 

I have reloaded the simulation probably 10 times. Same result each time. 

Thanks!

Edited by Swacer

Well, you could try doing it without the tutorials. It's sort-of simple once you get the hang of it, orbit, get mun encounter, burn retrograde at mun periapsis until you are in orbit. As long as you can make a rocket that can do this, you should be fine without that tutorial. If you really do need a tutorial and none of the in-game ones are working out, I suggest you try this youtube tutorial by Scott Manley. Or anything else by him. Just keep in mind that that tutorial is a bit outdated, but as far as orbiting and encountering, it is up to date.

I also suggest you report this as a bug in the console support forum.

Hope I helped!

16 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Well, you could try doing it without the tutorials. It's sort-of simple once you get the hang of it, orbit, get mun encounter, burn retrograde at mun periapsis until you are in orbit. As long as you can make a rocket that can do this, you should be fine without that tutorial. If you really do need a tutorial and none of the in-game ones are working out, I suggest you try this youtube tutorial by Scott Manley. Or anything else by him. Just keep in mind that that tutorial is a bit outdated, but as far as orbiting and encountering, it is up to date.

I also suggest you report this as a bug in the console support forum.

Hope I helped!

With a clearer head this morning. I checked the engines again and they are indeed out of fuel. However, it will not let me hit X and drop the stage. 

Do the stages above have any fuel, either? Sometimes rockets are built so that the upper stage is just for reentry, and has no fuel.

Do you know how to open a context menu? The menu that is attached to a specific part, and lets you control the exact workings of that part? If there is fuel in your next stage, you can stage without hitting X by opening the context menu for the decoupler and clicking "decouple".

Edited by bewing

Staging is disabled until the tutorial is completed but you can manually decouple the transfer stage and activate the lander stage's engine by clicking on them to bring up their menus (no idea how that works on console).

Having said that, the transfer stage should have plenty of fuel for the transfer and circularization burn so you may not be getting the most efficient encounters and may need to change where you're placing the manoeuvre node to get the Mun intercept. You want your apoapsis to be similar to the Mun's orbital altitude and just over 45° ahead of the Mun in its orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.