GO Large

Duck's is small compared to mine.

My largest has 67 Rockets firing in the first stage followed by another 13 in the next stages and lifts 191 (mostly empty) Liquid Tanks to orbit or beyond.

It is horribly inefficient. After the solid boosters burn away the rocket slows down to 32m/s at 25,000m before slowly speeding up again, but by 70,000ft it is above orbit speed and still burning it's first stage motors.

It would be no problem to make this bigger, but I'm already down to 2fps on takeoff

hugerocket.jpg

I still don't understand this obsession with huge rockets. Beyond a certain point, adding more mass hurts you.

In this case it's just for fun. No on is claiming these rockets are better.

That said, it's not necessarily true that adding more mass hurts you. So long as you don't mess up your power to weight ratio, the more stuff you can escape gravity with, the better.

I still don't understand this obsession with huge rockets. Beyond a certain point, adding more mass hurts you.

But... if you put another rocket on your humongous rocket... and if THAT rocket has a rocket on it... I mean, the possibilities are ENDLESS!!

I put this craft (see attachment) into a stable orbit. The 7 LFEs on the bottom still have 1 full tank remaining each, there are 6 SRBs ready to go after that, and when they detach, another stage with 5 LFEs and one LFT. The craft still has over 8 000 m/s of delta-V left. :D

some of this stuff is just ridiculous! the ones with vanilla parts are much more impressive because it would have taken so much longer to build. Letum- how many hours did you put in to construct that rocket. (including earlier models that failed to launch)

Hey guys, first post of a long time lurker here. Saw this thread and got inspired.

I present to you the CURTAIN OF FLAME!

It is as tall as the VAB will let you make em.

One main stage with 3 attached liquid fuel boosters, wrapped in 30 something solid boosters.

Gets into orbit with ~70% of fuel remaining.

Using Sunday Punches parts pack version 1.09 and a few other realistically styled mods. This bad boy took me ~9 hours to build today. The staging sequence alone was the last few hours. Trying to prep for having a moon to aim for Xd

I simply called this rocket Really Frikken Big. However, it seems to be small compared to some of the rockets I've seen here, my laptop still can't run it properly though.

Here it is on the launch pad.

kN5ue.jpg

Notice the gauges?

First stage

WhkAB.jpg

21 solid boosters

Second Stage

QXA0a.jpg

12 solid boosters

Third Stage

Part 1

JLUQQ.jpg

6 solid boosters and 3 liquid engines

Part 2

SrGyc.jpg

3 liquid engines and 3 solid boosters

Part 3

pXW0B.jpg

3 liquid engines

Orbit insertion

XslQp.jpg

1 liquid engine and 3 boosters (not shown, I drop them in the middle of the roll and couldn't get a screenshot)

Ready to release the satellite

wq493.jpg

the satellite is one command pod and one SAS module

PeHVQ.jpg

There it goes

Retroburn

8y47R.jpg

Chute Deployed

YPsmz.jpg

Uh.....Touchdown? Maybe?

TPub1.jpg

I think it's still there

6tkNc.jpg

Just had to roll down the mountain

RojU9.jpg

If you bothered to check, it actually didn't make it into an orbit, it may have if I could just fly the thing properly though, it comes very close.

I have bested myself, behold MEGA CURTAIN 3.

The greatest rocket ever wrought by the hands of mortal man, its 87 main stage liquid rockets are fueled by 598500 units of rocket fuel, it is capable of lifting entire space colonies into any orbit you can think of. Even bob smiles during most of the ride.

Built using Wobbly's rocket parts 1.09 and SDIR. No other mods, no cfg edits. it uses over 200 struts to maintain its shape during the ~20 minute main stage burn length.

It was banned from main production after the loss of a vehicle removed most of Kerth, Kerstraila.

Remember the fallen.

P.S. I run two 6970 graphic cards, with 16gb of DDR3 ram and this beast brings my frame rate to its knees.

I have bested myself, behold MEGA CURTAIN 3.

The greatest rocket ever wrought by the hands of mortal man, its 87 main stage liquid rockets are fueled by 598500 units of rocket fuel, it is capable of lifting entire space colonies into any orbit you can think of. Even bob smiles during most of the ride.

Built using Wobbly's rocket parts 1.09 and SDIR. No other mods, no cfg edits. it uses over 200 struts to maintain its shape during the ~20 minute main stage burn length.

It was banned from main production after the loss of a vehicle removed most of Kerth, Kerstraila.

Remember the fallen.

P.S. I run two 6970 graphic cards, with 16gb of DDR3 ram and this beast brings my frame rate to its knees.

holy ...... whats its final speed?

ok i have something which might compare to letums

i have named her Cratus Mark III (developing Mark IV)

although i have not tried to put it in orbit here be its stats

only vanilla Parts

stops Burning fuel at 1801K after 14 minutes (on full)

and hits a top speed of 7650.5m/s

it has

*43 Initial engines (12 Solid fuel & 31 Liquid engines)

* a total 18 stages

* 30 solid rocket boosters at different stages (not including 1st 12)

* a total of 157 fuel tanks

* 2 secondary engines (engines which start after i have used up the the 43 others)

*flies straight (which is sometimes rare for a big ship)

*uses 32 SAS modules

* a lot of struts!

it barely scrapes past the tower.

here be my photos

the first photo is the 1st stage engines

the second is proof that the giant hulk of fuel and engines can take off

the third is the thing next to the tower

the last is at its peak

now onto Cratus Mark IV!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.