Mobile Processing Lab Data???

I'm confused on how the MPL works. according to the information i've been able to find(sparse at best..) i should be able to set one of these up on kerbin somewhere and get science from my experiment data. but when, for example, i do a crew report from the tundra, even though the data is worth 5 Mits in the experiment, i get 0 data in the lab for it. it's a brand new lab, never done any experiments before. i am playing version 1.1.3 x64, pretty heavily modded, in science mode, but i don't believe any of my mods change the behavior of the MPL. not on purpose anyways. am i doing something wrong? did squad change the MPL in the last update(1.1.3), and i missed it? did a mod break my game? or is this thing just useless on kerbin? some people say the science you can get from the launch pad is game breaking, but i really don't see how that's possible if this is it's stock behavior

Could you post a picture of the craft?

There seems to be an oddity where if you have an MPL and just a probe core then hitting the flask icon to process an experiment in the lab does not produce any data. However, if you have an MPL with a manned capsule attached and do the same thing then you do generate the data and start to produce some science. 

Edit: I've just tried it and I don't see that behaviour now. I definitely have in the past though. Perhaps there is some combination of parts that causes the problem?

I'm unsure it's worth the trouble though. You can get something like 5 data in each Kerbin location and that is going to generate science at a very low rate. Much better to launch it into space, or better still land it on Minmus and you can then finish the tech tree with one MPL in one Minmus biome. 

Edited by Foxster

10 minutes ago, Foxster said:

There seems to be an oddity where if you have an MPL and just a probe core then hitting the flask icon to process an experiment in the lab does not produce any data. However, if you have an MPL with a manned capsule attached and do the same thing then you do generate the data and start to produce some science. 

Edit: I've just tried it and I don't see that behaviour now. I definitely have in the past though. Perhaps there is some combination of parts that causes the problem?

I'm unsure it's worth the trouble though. You can get something like 5 data in each location and that is going to generate science at a very low rate. Much better to launch it into space, or better still land it on Minus and you can then finish the tech tree with one MPL in one Minmus biome. 

a pic would help :DD

1 hour ago, MisterB0420 said:

i should be able to set one of these up on kerbin somewhere and get science from my experiment data.

(buzz sound) wrong!

If you try to feed data into the lab while landed on Kerbin, you will get almost nothing. This is so by design. You're supposed to use it in space. Or on another body. Anywhere except the surface of Kerbin.

4 hours ago, Laie said:

(buzz sound) wrong!

If you try to feed data into the lab while landed on Kerbin, you will get almost nothing. This is so by design. You're supposed to use it in space. Or on another body. Anywhere except the surface of Kerbin.

ok but i get nothing. not even 0.001 data off it. i read somewhere that the data return multiplier was something like 0.01, so does it only give me data if it's above a 1.0 return?

5 hours ago, Foxster said:

I'm unsure it's worth the trouble though. You can get something like 5 data in each Kerbin location and that is going to generate science at a very low rate. Much better to launch it into space, or better still land it on Minmus and you can then finish the tech tree with one MPL in one Minmus biome. 

you're probably right, i've got a hodge podge of different parts from different mods attached to it. i did have a mk 2 lander can attached though, not a probe core.. i was just testing it out to see what all the fuss was about, i'll build a real rocket and put it in orbit around the mun, and if i still get nothing i'll come back with pictures :)

kay, so i am getting data from munar orbit. it must not transfer anything that's not a whole number... that's my guess anyhow. thanks for the help folks :)

Edited by MisterB0420
too many zeros. solved problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.