Aerodynamic Visual Effects

Hi folks, i have a question about the Transonic effects on rocket launches.

Occasionally on launch ascents i get no visual effects at and around Mach 1, is this because of a low acceleration velocity? 

I'm currently on the 1.2 pre version (no mods, career mode) but I've also noticed it in 1.1.3. 

I launched my first Relay Satellite today, also completing a R&D contract at the same time.  The RDD ComSat 1 payload on my Orca 341 rocket, taking inspiration from the Atlas rockets and their 3 digit designations! :wink: 

She was real slow on acceleration and i didn't see any transonic effects at all, and i was a good way up by then!    Here's a couple of shots just before launch. 

Cheers all ! 

J

Orca3411.jpg

Orca3412.jpg

Yes, sort of, and it's because of Altitude.  The effect is a combination of speed and altitude, it's created by water vapor (in real life of course) in the air and if there isn't enough water vapor you wouldn't see it.  Specifically it is the effect of air temperature dropping below the dew point.

So if you accelerate slowly and get too high before hitting mach speeds, it just doesn't show.

Edited by Alshain

Thanks guys, makes perfect sense. This game still continues to impress me with that kind of attention to detail! 

I only had a Skipper Engine on that main core booster!

Btw, is it possible to mount two Skippers or Mainsails on the bottom of a fuel tank core with stock parts? I guess that's something I'll unlock later into the tech tree? Want to try and recreate an RD-180.

Thanks again.

Yes, you can. What you need is an adapter part that surface attaches on one end and has a node on the other. Very common choices are Cubic Octagonal Struts, in Precision Engineering, or the Radial Attachment Point, in Specialized Construction. Both are tier 6 tech nodes. Either part will do the job. You surface attach two of them to the bottom of the tank, creating two nodes where none were before (well technically you have three now, together with the tank's own node). Then you attach a pair of Skippers to those new nodes. Finally, use the offset tool to tweak the exact position of the engines to get the look that you want.

(Once the rocket part revamp comes along, in some version after 1.2.0, you'll no longer need intermediary parts; you'll be able to switch the Skipper to a 'slim' model without its large base but with surface attachment capabilities, and then just stick a pair of them directly onto the tank.)

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.