Thermal Tiles/Plates

I could care less for thermal tiles per say, but i would like to see a texture added which resembles tiles in a future revamp (along with a dark theme for planes since im sorta sick of everything looking like it came out of a cleanroom).

That said, the biggest problem with this game's thermal system is that its way too easy even at 120% heating, most likely to cater to all the whiners that came out of the original model.  Now i admit the original heat model was way too severe even for me (and easy to exploit ontop of it), but they should have settled for something halfway between the original everything cooks model and the current impossible to cook unless you actually try to on purpose model.  As well, engines just dont generate any heat anymore, i remember how fun the nukes were when the 1st made them actually create so much heat that entire ships would melt if you had a cluster of them with 0 radiators.  Now short of 10 minute burns (which i dont have the patience for nor do i make ships with that bad TWR), its impossible to get any number of nukes to overheat your ship without modding ofc (i increased nuke heat gen as its a joke right now and that engine needs some downsides besides its size).

Fix the thermal system to make it an actual challenge and not just a minor nuissance stopping you from reentering at 12km/s (which you should NEVER be able to do in the 1st place and it is sorta doable in stock), then add some tiles as a paint option with a config to give it ablator and alls well...

1 minute ago, panzer1b said:

I could care less for thermal tiles per say, but i would like to see a texture added which resembles tiles in a future revamp (along with a dark theme for planes since im sorta sick of everything looking like it came out of a cleanroom).

That said, the biggest problem with this game's thermal system is that its way too easy even at 120% heating, most likely to cater to all the whiners that came out of the original model.  Now i admit the original heat model was way too severe even for me (and easy to exploit ontop of it), but they should have settled for something halfway between the original everything cooks model and the current impossible to cook unless you actually try to on purpose model.  As well, engines just dont generate any heat anymore, i remember how fun the nukes were when the 1st made them actually create so much heat that entire ships would melt if you had a cluster of them with 0 radiators.  Now short of 10 minute burns (which i dont have the patience for nor do i make ships with that bad TWR), its impossible to get any number of nukes to overheat your ship without modding ofc (i increased nuke heat gen as its a joke right now and that engine needs some downsides besides its size).

Fix the thermal system to make it an actual challenge and not just a minor nuissance stopping you from reentering at 12km/s (which you should NEVER be able to do in the 1st place and it is sorta doable in stock), then add some tiles as a paint option with a config to give it ablator and alls well...

I completely agree! However I think that all the plane parts should have a tile version and then a slider for extra thermal protection. I do want a reentry challenge but it makes no sense that an engine can survive re-entry before a nosecose that was designed for the job.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:47 PM, panzer1b said:

Irony is that I'm the one who made the thread and 3 years later I completely agree with you

• 6 months later...
On 10/1/2016 at 2:19 PM, Gaarst said:

Spaceplane parts are already very resistant to heat, so I feel like these wouldn't be needed.

Also, way to add 1000 parts to a simple Mk2 spaceplane.

I am trying to make a Starship, and yes some thermal tiles of varying size would be very useful. Well I am also using realism overhual, so more re-entry heating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.