Jump from one ship to another in space

Hope you like that. Orbit arround 800km, 1-4km distance between ships but you are not able to go outside with another kerbalnaut when you have first out or what..

I have to try that once again maybe with party of 10 kerbalnauts on big ladder station. :)

The mission profile of the Angel III was the rescue of stranded Kerbals after Angel I\'s fuel ran out following its Munar return and attempt to circularise in LKO. In all, 3 Kerbals were brought from Angel I to ground.

KtLBm.png

Renezvous Transport Vehicle in orbit.

7KWGb.png

An EVA starts to ensure all systems are go.

1a5oi.png

lGCRN.png

Return engine is fine.

MUt3A.png

Rendezvous engine is fine.

3xAqB.png

Fun in space.

7xPg7.png

QReSb.png

Checking ASAS.

Fzg4C.png

Checking parachute.

owSiL.png

WEKWq.png

Approaching Angel I

bKZ6r.png

Closing in.

YXBPq.png

Almost there.

pc2GR.png

FqSJW.png

Vlb1i.png

Angel I initiating crew transfer.

lDI0M.png

Making the crossing.

mCz2P.png

Boarding crew transport module.

voj3L.png

Bob Kerman making the transfer.

JO0wo.png

W3Vve.png

Nedson shuts down the ship\'s systems.

z2enP.png

safJq.png

GhBc2.png

'Ok, Space Centre, I\'m approaching the Angel III n... *smack* GGGGGRRRSSSSHHHH'

'Nedson, respond. Nedson! Respond, damn it!'

'Life readings say he\'s unconscious!'

2l5pY.png

XFSwD.png

'Space Centre, this is Nedson. Sorry about frightening you. Hell of a hit I took.'

C8MIy.png

0Vyqn.png

BFsRp.png

3gfLv.png

6MTc7.png

TI99Z.png

O1lax.png

Checking ASAS.

btoqd.png

One last look at Angel I

m5PcZ.png

Z0gFm.png

VuCOF.png

NiIp9.png

Beginning deorbit burn.

svnzZ.png

koWTp.png

Sunrise.

xPwfD.png

Dropping the rendezvous module.

EtC3V.png

MNlze.png

wgHor.png

lolOT.png

Atmospheric decelleration in progress.

QKH9e.png

fws49.png

Rendezvous Module ahoy!

cM8QK.png

Deploy parachutes!

jXkGY.png

Everyone screaming. Space Centre must now replace their headsets for ones that haven\'t exploded.

19mpV.png

Initiating decelleration assistance burn.

DruOz.jpg

rczkM.jpg

Nedson realises the gravity of the situation, but he\'s still suffering from adrenaline drain after that whack earlier. He cannot be bothered to scream.

BZioK.jpg

The capsule is safe! But what of the crew module?

fq869.png

Safe.

rJOvE.png

Traitorous ASAS!

i4zmq.jpg

ZAquc.jpg

Serve you right for failing on us!

fTh5X.png

Command pod evacuation complete.

PHQLv.png

What? You need proof?

W8UAX.png

The seatbelts are stuck. Bust assistance is on the way.

Lwe8e.png

I\'ve been trying to do this, but I can\'t seem to get the ships close enough. The closest I\'ve ever gotten them was 40K. How did you get yours so close?

I tried only to go 90 degree and 800k height and do.. with the same ships almost the same direction changes in 200k start to orbiting and so.. then i have enough fuel to another maneuvers

During his first attempts to orbit around the planet, astronaut Ronby Kerman ended up stuck orbitting Kerbin in his module Hope I-6 (sixth expedition on this model during project Hope) without any means of return.

Thankfully, the Reach project was finally successful with the Reach VI expedition. Halny and Sibgin Kerman managed to replicate almost exactly the orbit of the Hope I-6 module after 4 days of adjusting and correcting.

Ronby (starved and exhausted after almost 53 days in space) travelled close to 2.5km using his backpack thrusters to finally grab the ladder of the Reach VI module.

Only started playing KSP 2 days ago, didn\'t install any mods, I have the last update (I feel this game is worth 10 times what I paid for it).

I actually did this, not to complete the thread\'s challenge, but simple because I actually messed up the Hope I-6 mission (thought I had more fuel, missed my return trajectory). At that point, I had no idea how to control orbits, etc. I thought it would be fun (and a learning experience) to try getting him back. Of course, the orbit being 'random', it was pretty hard to replicate with my limited knowledge.

I started reading on orbits, inclination, etc. In the meantime, I ended up doing 6 different models of rocket and trying multiple lifts, orbits and return, while training adjustments and inclination change. I constructed the last model with everything I learned during these last two days of playing, launched it and spent all morning to finally achieve my goal (I actually had to EVA one of the crew before liftoff to make room for Ronby !).

Unfortunately, I was so much into the mission (which took me close to 4 hours IRL) that I didn\'t think of recording... Here are some screenshots taken after the module transfer, that\'s all I could get for archiving.

Probably one of the most epic experience of my ~26 years of gaming life (I\'m 30 today !), just because of the sheer amount of efforts I put into it, all the learning, the experimenting and finally the rewarding conclusion.

Can\'t wait to play more of this game !

6TGYX.png

The orbits from up close (not at the closest point where I did the transfer, but a bit later).

WWwqU.png

Orbits from a little distance.

FET9h.png

Other angle.

j2rs5.png

The empty Hope I-6 module, forever orbitting Kerbin.

SdjDG.png

Reach VI, mission accomplished (unless something goes wrong with the parachute !)

Silfur, 1m parachutes rip off the ASAS. Sadly, your capsule is probably going to be destroyed.

I don\'t exactly know what you mean (I had no ASAS on that rocket, only standard SAS), but it worked fine. The landing was just off the coast of the base, and everyone was safe !

I don\'t have any screen shots, but I\'ve done three (one of a ship) rescue missions so far. Not quite ship to ship, so I hope they count. ;]

First one was of a mun lander who\'s pilot had a bit of an accident. It\'s a valuable ship, so we had to recover it naturally. Sent out a 3 manned recovery vessel, landed about 1-2km away (yay mechjeb) and a brave Kerbalnaut hopped inside and flew it home. Not a problem... until I tried to fly the recovery vessel home. It ran out of fuel at about 10km above Mun and they hadn\'t reached a stable orbit yet... They were stranded with no fuel, heading straight for pancake land. So I did the only thing any sane Kerbalnaut would do. I jumped ship and used the jet packs to put the Kerbalnaut in a orbit around the Mun, waiting for a rescue ship.

So, ANOTHER recovery ship was launched immediately. Once we were in orbit around Kerbin, we realised someone messed up, because it had 3 Kerbalnauts in it! So they draw straws and kicked one out, leaving him in orbit of Kerbin. Once they arrived at Mun, after much trial and error, they got an extremely close orbit to the stranded Kerbalnaut - Billock I think - going a bit faster and closing in. At this point, good old Billock saw the ship, and used his jetpack to maneuver near it, grab the ladder and hop in. Flew back to Kerbin and the KSC without a hitch.

Now of course we had to send ANOTHER recovery vessel... I\'d tell you what happened, but someone appears to have botched the report. It\'s missing. And now that I think about it, I haven\'t seen Johan lately...

So yeh, rescued 2 Kerbals and a ship. That\'s close enough right? (altho no screenies :<).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.