"Pilot only" RCS

So with SAS there are options to set when the torque is applied, off, pilot only and stability assist IIRC. Is there a similar setting for RCS that I've missed?

If not it would be bloody useful, I'd love a pilot only version of RCS. I pretty much always use RCS only for fine maneuvers and only very very rarely for maintaining or changing attitude. There have been any a number of times when the firing of RCS to maintain attitude has thrown off my actual heading. Not to mention that can go absolutely mental and waste a ton of RCS fuel trying to correct a sudden rapid change in attitude.

Completely agree that it would be extremely useful, but AFAIK it isn't possible. I just use fine control and keep switching RCS on and off, whenever I need to translate, though obviously it's not perfect and monoprop gets wasted.

4 minutes ago, Rodhern said:

It used to be that both RCS and SAS had to be on at the same time for the RCS to fire outside of pilot command. Or are you saying that you like the ASWDQE keys for reaction wheels and HNIJKL for RCS?

Almost, but not quite, I think. OP is probably using HNIJKL for translation and WASDQE for rotation, but it's the automatic corrections that SAS makes if the RCS thrusters are not perfectly balanced for translation which are the problem: if reaction wheels are powerful enough to maintain rotation, it should be possible to stop SAS from using RCS for that purpose, especially since it tends to negate much of the effort you're trying to put into translation.

23 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

I know the problem, when docking and you want to turn your craft a bit, it can result in getting not line-up with the craft.

I usualy disable my rsc when turning and let the reaction wheel do their work

Might I humbly suggest you're doing it the wrong way round? Ships don't generally turn themselves out of alignment, especially if you micro-warp. However, their approach vectors necessarily move as they move around their orbits. Rather than turning to face the target again, you should use translation to move the approach vector to the other side of the target to bring it back to dead centre.

Just now, Plusck said:

Might I humbly suggest you're doing it the wrong way round? Ships don't generally turn themselves out of alignment, especially if you micro-warp. However, their approach vectors necessarily move as they move around their orbits. Rather than turning to face the target again, you should use translation to move the approach vector to the other side of the target to bring it back to dead centre.

When your RCS's CoT isn't neary the CoM. The (smaller)craft can glide a bit up or down. And I'm speaking about docking in close range :) . So around 25 meters. And with turning I meant to rotation. The movement forward, upward etc. are done with RSC. When I'm planning a rendavous, I leave the rcs on most time. 

But that's all in the stock solar system. When using RO, the reaction wheels are underpowered because there not that realistic    

4 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

When your RCS's CoT isn't neary the CoM. The (smaller)craft can glide a bit up or down. And I'm speaking about docking in close range :) . So around 25 meters. And with turning I meant to rotation. The movement forward, upward etc. are done with RSC. When I'm planning a rendavous, I leave the rcs on most time. 

But that's all in the stock solar system. When using RO, the reaction wheels are underpowered because there not that realistic    

Yes, I saw that you use RSS/RO. Hence the "humbleness" of my suggestion :wink:. And for sure, reaction wheels are OP in stock.  This does kind of support the point behind OP's question: if one were to want to limit reaction wheel use (whether via RO or as self-imposed realism rule) I'm sure it be even more useful if you could select "pilot only" or "SAS only" for sets of RCS thrusters.

14 minutes ago, Plusck said:

Yes, I saw that you use RSS/RO. Hence the "humbleness" of my suggestion :wink:. And for sure, reaction wheels are OP in stock.  This does kind of support the point behind OP's question: if one were to want to limit reaction wheel use (whether via RO or as self-imposed realism rule) I'm sure it be even more useful if you could select "pilot only" or "SAS only" for sets of RCS thrusters.

yes indeed, I totally agree with OP's view. It would be nice if you could set a action group to the reaction wheel and rcs, so you can switch them on and off, or set them to pilot input only mode etc. Such as  Throttle Controlled Avionics let's you decide what the mod can do with your engines. Setting them on altitude, full mode etc. 

Edited by DrLicor

If you rarely use RCS for attitude, you should consider using the toggles in the right click menu to turn off yaw, pitch, and roll. They will then never fire when using the WASD keys or when SAS adjusts the craft. You can always turn them back on if you need more control. 

2 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

If you rarely use RCS for attitude, you should consider using the toggles in the right click menu to turn off yaw, pitch, and roll. They will then never fire when using the WASD keys or when SAS adjusts the craft. You can always turn them back on if you need more control. 

Hmmm that's not a bad idea, I do occasionally need roll but not often.

Might be the closest I can get to the desired effect.

9 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

I can vouch for this method. I never use RCS for yaw/pitch/roll anymore. Well, except pitch to nose up, but that's only in specific circumstances like having a spaceplane lifting off of an airless body. (on that note, remember that this can be toggled in flight, not just in construction, so you can switch it on if desired)

Edited by Jarin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.