360 Degree view of the Discovery Space Shuttle

RangerDanger75

Awesome! That cockpit looks like it's been revised so many times. There's Apollo-like gauges next to glass displays.

Anyone notice there's a guy standing near the access hatch on the lower flight deck? Talk about photobomb :D

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

If there's ever a truly working shuttle command pod in KSP with it's own interior, this is the one it needs to be modeled after. THIS ONE specifically. The missing components in the back, the crammed controls and tacked on messages suits it well.

...THANK YOU, NASA!

They left the 'Canada' maple leaf sticker *on* the RMS control panel instead of scraping it off like they did before each mission!

(For those who don't know, that sticker first materialized during the first flight to carry the RMS, and since it wasn't on the official drawings of the panels, they scraped it off before the next flight. And it materialized again on the next flight. And the cycle repeated all the way to the end of the program, as the astronauts' way of thanking the CSA for building the RMS. I was desperately hoping they'd leave the sticker in place when decommissioned, as a little bit of history that few would know about, and even fewer would ever see!)

...THANK YOU, NASA!

They left the 'Canada' maple leaf sticker *on* the RMS control panel instead of scraping it off like they did before each mission!

Hey, that's some mission-critical weight savings you're criticizing there.

Oh, I wasn't criticizing them for scraping it off (though I somehow doubt that the 1-2 milligrams that thing has to weigh would have been TOO critical, seeing as how the crews could always smuggle one on board without anyone noticing!), I was just glad to see that they left it in place for museum display. Sort of like how they never scrubbed Mike Collins's handwriting ('Spacecraft 107--alias Apollo 11--alias Columbia. The best ship to come down the line. God Bless Her. Michael Collins, CMP') off the wall of CM 107's lower equipment bay before putting her on display--I'm sure that every Shuttle also has a number of personal messages hidden somewhere in semi-accessible places in their bowels, added to them before flight by members of the ground crew, and I hope those remain, too. There's millions of people who had a personal stake in every flight, and they deserve recognition, too, even if it's in a form that nobody ever knows about. :)