Money Money Money

After some time i realized its not possible to keep SQUAD running with only purchases and i think SQUAD will make DLC for PC SO

1-Make DLC for consoles only

2----------

First you BUY the game

------------

Single Player

Free

------------

Multi Player

Monthly Payment

-----------

i think this will solve Money Flow problems

2 minutes ago, 64Bit said:

After some time i realized its not possible to keep SQUAD running with only purchases and i think SQUAD will make DLC for PC SO

1-Make DLC for consoles only

2----------

First you BUY the game

------------

Single Player

Free

------------

Multi Player

Monthly Payment

-----------

i think this will solve Money Flow problems

NO WAY DUDE DO U EVEN PLAY KERBAL??

NOT HAPPENING!! 

Tell your idea

classic singleplayer was always free

its not so possible to keep squad up by only buying ksp for 30 dollars for once

is it so hard to pay something like 10 dollars per month that you can want it to happen or not happen to have

4 hours ago, 64Bit said:

Tell your idea

classic singleplayer was always free

its not so possible to keep squad up by only buying ksp for 30 dollars for once

is it so hard to pay something like 10 dollars per month that you can want it to happen or not happen to have

*Ahem* I believe it's now usually $40+ now.

Besides they can make more merch and therefore more profit.

I'd rather buy a new game called "Kerbal Aerospace/Aircraft Program" focused on airplanes of different eras, with multiplayer and earth-sized Kerbin.

The DLCs for this one are not needed. We have mods. I really don't know what else could they offer as a DLC. More parts? More planets? Useless multiplayer? We already have all of that and I'm not paying for anything that is already free. Better create a new game and hire people that can actually code it so it's not as messy as this one.

Edited by Veeltch

ever since ksp is getting bigger and bigger, squad is making more and more money. until everyone in the world brought this game, squad is recieving a constant income enough to develop another space sim. currently, i dont think squad is in need of any more money than it has, its not like kerbal is gonna die without those extra bits of money. also squad might even lose money because not many people would want to give up more money just for a multiplayer software.

• 2 weeks later...

Euhm, whaaaaat:sealed:

So if I'm getting this right your suggesting a secondary main income system based on multiplayer activity while KSP doesn't even have multiplayer:confused:

The logic in here is?

Oh, and how did you realize Squad couldn't get enough income through sales? Also, why dlcs for consoles only if KSP is more a pc game? What your suggesting would probably reduce income.

Did you have meetings with the devs about bookkeeping and the financial obstacles to overcome?

What do you know that I do not?

Edited by Vaporized Steel

Paying for a subscription to get access to the multiplayer server sounds great as a plan to create a more regular income stream. There are some considerable hurdles that need to be taken though:

• Apparently Unity and multiplayer don't jive very well. That's not saying it's impossible (see DMP mod), just that it might be hard and that getting a good performance out of it might be even harder
  • Time warping is a problem. Sure there are “solutions” but those do necessarily mean they enhance gameplay, to say the least. Over the years I've seen various MP-mod developers claiming that “Time Warp is the easiest problem to fix” and while that may be the case from a programming point of view, it seems one of the hardest to fix from a game playing point of view. I haven't yet heard of any solution where everyone says “yeah, that's it, that's the way to deal with time warp. Well done, now we can TRULY multiplay.” Every solution comes with its own shortcomings and disappointments, so far.
  • Grieving. Finally built that space station that took you 12 trips and hours of launching and docking (because you're not good at docking)? Proud to share it with the rest of the community? Well, that is until you run into this one 12yr old who thinks it's hysterical to crash a Jumbo 64 tank into your station from a retrograde orbit. LULZ!! Grieving is a problem in virtually any multiplayer environment and needs to be tackled just as well.
  • What's the gameplan? Some games are only multiplayer (WOW), for others it adds something special to it (MS Flight Simulator, for instance) but for KSP the case for multiplayer is hard to make.

In micro-economics, a sale is made when the PRICE is exceeding the COST for the vender, yet is lower than the VALUE the product has for the buyer. So for Squad to sell MP as a subscription, I really need to feel like it adds $10/mo (or whatever the subscription rate is) to the game. That might be a tough proposition.

Then there are the practical considerations when hosting a multi-player service in the first place:

• Hosting a server like that is very expensive. Sure, there are some individuals that have a DMP server running out there. Which is great for a handful of players, but you'll need something more substantial if you're going to be the host for multiplayer and you have thousands of players logging on, DDOS attacks to deal with, etc.
  • Subscription services open a whole can of worm on keeping track of payment details and getting hacked. 
  • You will need people monitoring/running those servers 24/7.
  • The above will make a subscription service pretty expensive without Squad making a single penny, leaving little room for on-going game development.

When you get past those, subscription has no reason to be limited to console only. And maybe we need to get creative. Maybe combining multiplayer with Twitch streams is the best thing since sliced bread, and Squad should look at that kind of multiplayer (following another player but with the ability to zoom in/out, switch to map view when you want it, etc). Access only for paying subscribers to a channel, and Squad gets a cut?

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:35 PM, Veeltch said:

I'd rather buy a new game called "Kerbal Aerospace/Aircraft Program" focused on airplanes of different eras, with multiplayer and earth-sized Kerbin.

The DLCs for this one are not needed. We have mods. I really don't know what else could they offer as a DLC. More parts? More planets? Useless multiplayer? We already have all of that and I'm not paying for anything that is already free. Better create a new game and hire people that can actually code it so it's not as messy as this one.

Or Kerbal-Nautica dealing with subs, boats and ships....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.