Why I fell in love with KSP in the first place

EladDv

This year has been tough, I went straight from high school to university and began my studies towards a degree in physics and computer science in one of the best universities in the country. It has not been easy-I studied hard, barely went out with friends and had almost no relationships but I've made it through, this summer I went to basic training (dont ask why, it's just a normal thing here)- luckily it was with great people but they still were rough 1.5 months. Just after the academic year ended I moved back with my parents so I could focus on my studies and not work (much :P ).

So here I am, it's 10 PM and I find myself with nothing to do, nobody is going out today and I dont feel like doing anything really, and then... I fire up KSP for the first time in a year...

Suddenly all my problems melt away, I cant remember the last time I was just being there, focused, not worried on stuff like how my year is gonna be and when will I find someone, I was just focused on the game, "there we go... a new career, and this time on hard(plus some extra modifiers for more difficulty)". It's now 4AM, I just got back from my first landing on minmus (in that career), I have 200k in the bank and the next mission is going to be either landing on mun or placing satellites around kerbin and minmus for contracts (and comms).

When I play KSP I just disappear for hours, not thinking about the outside world. Just focused on the physics and the game, it's not satisfying because I'm winning...it's not that kind of experience for me,I just look out into space and I'm in awe,YES it's just a video game but I'm totally lost, this game is something else, I feel like it's something that has become a part of me now. With everything that happened in the last year I was starting to feel overwhelmed and as funny as it is to say that, I feel like KSP has brought me down to earth, it calmed me and gave me an escape for a few hours from my busy life and that's why I keep coming back for it, that's why I fell in love with Kerbal Space Program in the first place.

EladDv.

Know the feeling. Although I am to tired to fire KSP up most evenings, when I get started I just play until I get direct orders from the wife. Although I have landed on most bodies, a Mun touchdown just never gets old. Yesterday I had a splitting headache, but when I messed with some tuning parameters for my controller, I could forget about it. Still waiting for the last crucial mod to update before upgrading to 1.2, but the exploration is still the same.

I feel like KSP has brought me down to earth

Well, that's Ironic!

But yes, it is calming and relaxing.... most of the time... trying to get a complicated aircraft or high speed rover working just right can be frustrating at times. Docking large craft can also be furstating :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.